News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Is there any update on the status of the departures roadway construction? I recall some rumours of March 2024 being in the timeline at one point.
Not even close. March 2025 was the the longest timeframe expected. They seem to be doing really well considering the mild winter allowing them to make a lot of progress. Hopefully it won’t take more than a year.

Cool data pulled together for Westjet activity at some of the bigger (non YYC) airports in Canada by zahav on SSP. YEG is quite close to YYZ now in number of flights but still not quite there for seats because YYZ no longer has Q400 flights.

Week of Aug. 12-18, 2024

YVR
Total flights this week: 490
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 64,550
Total # of destinations this week: 33

YYZ
Total flights this week: 348
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 54,619
Total # of destinations this week: 39

YEG
Total flights this week: 347
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 49,567
Total # of destinations this week: 31

YWG
Total flights this week: 163
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 24,241
Total # of destinations this week: 14

YHZ
Total flights this week: 91
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 14,282
Total # of destinations this week: 10

Not even close. March 2025 was the the longest timeframe expected. They seem to be doing really well considering the mild winter allowing them to make a lot of progress. Hopefully it won’t take more than a year.
Oh wow, I didn't realize that type of timeframe was in the cards. I must've misread the year on the March that I saw. Thanks!

Unfortunately a dismal march for YEG pax numbers with Domestic in particular getting crushed. On the bright side transborder is going strong and will look to make further gains in the months to come with United up gauging planes and Atlanta coming online for Westjet towards the end of April.

March 2024
  • Terminal Traffic: 539,813 passengers (Year-to-date 1,541,212 passengers) -3.7% (Year-to-date 0.3%)
  • Domestic 381,199 passengers (Year-to-date 1,098,242 passengers) -9.8% (Year-to-date -4.6%)
  • Transborder 84,213 passengers (Year-to-date 218,154 passengers) 10.2% (Year-to-date 7.7%)
  • International 74,401 passengers (Year-to-date 224,816 passengers) 21.0% (Year-to-date 22.9%)
  • Fixed Base Operators (FBO) 47,110 passengers (Year-to-date 152,480 passengers) -7.8% (Year-to-date 8.9%)
Total Passengers
  • 586,923 passengers (Year-to-date 1,693,692 passengers) -4.0% (Year-to-date 1.0%)

Unfortunately a dismal march for YEG pax numbers with Domestic in particular getting crushed. On the bright side transborder is going strong and will look to make further gains in the months to come with United up gauging planes and Atlanta coming online for Westjet towards the end of April.

March 2024
  • Terminal Traffic: 539,813 passengers (Year-to-date 1,541,212 passengers) -3.7% (Year-to-date 0.3%)
  • Domestic 381,199 passengers (Year-to-date 1,098,242 passengers) -9.8% (Year-to-date -4.6%)
  • Transborder 84,213 passengers (Year-to-date 218,154 passengers) 10.2% (Year-to-date 7.7%)
  • International 74,401 passengers (Year-to-date 224,816 passengers) 21.0% (Year-to-date 22.9%)
  • Fixed Base Operators (FBO) 47,110 passengers (Year-to-date 152,480 passengers) -7.8% (Year-to-date 8.9%)
Total Passengers
  • 586,923 passengers (Year-to-date 1,693,692 passengers) -4.0% (Year-to-date 1.0%)
Why do you think domestic is down? Mostly Flair down year over year?.

1713552135431.jpeg

Why do you think domestic is down? Mostly Flair down year over year?.
Flair would be a big part of that for sure, made up only partially by Porter's additions. I don't think Westjet has added back fully what we lost with Swoop and Lynx was small but something. I would have to dig into Westjet and AC changes year over year but they likely didn't (and couldn't) make significant changes, although anecdotally I feel AC has really increased the widebody missions from YEG to YUL &YYZ.

This is just so weird and out of left field for this Tweaker Premiere……Sue wants to privatize health care…..there is NO doubt about this but yet wants to introduce Commuter rail into ok our fair city? Was this part of her election campaign?

That is an article from July 2023 so it's based on last year's mandate letter. As far as I have been told, there are studies underway to determine the feasibility of various options. Have no idea what the timelines and exact scope of these studies are though.

In my opinion, Smith seems to be slightly more pro transit and pro urbanism (except for her delaying the Calgary's green line) than expected compared to her other dangerous and harmful views. I think there's an interview where she was asked what type of neighbourhood she prefers to live in she said she prefered to live in mixed-used ones.

In my opinion, Smith seems to be slightly more pro transit and pro urbanism (except for her delaying the Calgary's green line) than expected compared to her other dangerous and harmful views. I think there's an interview where she was asked what type of neighbourhood she prefers to live in she said she prefered to live in mixed-used ones.

But she has definitely come out against Calgary's rezoning bylaw proposal.

Back