News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

EIA is just reflecting the attitude of the airlines. They will do what is best for them not what is best for the airport. Having two destinations so close to each other does not sense to their bottom line so unless you can convince them to do what is in the best interest of Edmonton and EIA the status quote will remain. Maybe EIA can convince the UCP to hand over $75mil to incentivize more direct connections. 🤨
EIA is not here to be a spokeperson for airlines or reflect their views. Their job is to promote EIA. I realize that may not be easy, but if current management is not up to the task, perhaps someone else can do better.

Honestly, Edmonton doesn't need a lot more. The bare minimum of having a direct flight to the top 5 biggest US Cities would be enough to significantly reduce the need to fly through Calgary. Obviously I'd love direct flights to cities in Asia and to significantly expand the European service, but that's probably not realistic. Edmonton should at the very least have direct flights to: NYC, Chicago and Houston. As a bit of a pipe dream, I'd like to see Edmonton expand it's Latin American options farther than just beach destinations in Mexico.

So unless you can convince them to do what is in the best interest of Edmonton and EIA the status quote will remain.

EIA is not here to be a spokeperson for airlines or reflect their views. Their job is to promote EIA. I realize that may not be easy, but if current management is not up to the task, perhaps someone else can do better.

Two years ago I reached out to EIA management regarding my concerns with Edmonton's (lack of) connectivity. Carmen Donnelly, who is their Vice President, Passenger Experience & Terminal Operations was very nice enough to schedule a sit down with me.

During my discussion with Carmen, she walked me through what EIA management's role is in attracting new routes and flights and it is 100% very much management's role to get in front of airlines and convince them to fly to YEG. Now the question is, which is very valid in my opinion, is EIA management doing enough to get in front of airlines and support YEG's cause?

Based on my discussion with Carmen in my opinion the answer is no. They were not/have not heavily relied on partnerships with the Edmonton business community to support the data or pitches for new routes (they did this once with AC and SFO and the tech community, and it was/has been successful), I believe they spend too much time and resources on non core route related things, and also from my conversation they do not build enough relationships with Air Canada (Carmen mentioned the attitude of AC executives is that they dont know much about Edmonton).

If you are curious about the above, I recommend reaching out to Carmen as she was very willing to share but in summary, it is very much their job to promote YEG and I do not think they do a good enough job.

YEG has a lot of things going for it and some things going against it. Looking at the landscape of the Canadian market population growth is essential but a market our size being the 5th largest airport by passengers flown is a tough hill to climb.

It doesn't mean there aren't opportunities or they haven't tried things. Flair setting up shop with their HQ was an outside the box opportunity, unfortunately things haven't gone so well for Flair. YEG is an important Westjet market, maybe their 3rd most important base. In ideal circumstances, with Westjet so fortressy you would see AC utilitize YEG as an important interior focus city/hub as American carriers have in different markets like Salt Lake City (DL) or Phoenix (AA), but they have a history in Calgary and have chosen more to draw down prairie flying than operate with much of a hub between YVR and YYZ. Porter could be a future target, they've stated YVR might be their first western hub but nothing written in stone if they became a true national carrier and YEG played their cards right.

Working against YEG:

Geography - Being north means backtracking on connections heading south in many circumstances.
Tourism - Mountains are a big trip generator and while Jasper could be much better marketed and accessed, Jasper isn't as interested in becoming what Canmore Banff is and will never be as convenient unless a much better train service or some sort of regional flying became a possibility into say Hinton.
Canadian Dollar - Canadian airlines are better positioned to deal with the weak CAD vs. USD so while it would be ideal to get more DL, AA, UA flying to improve our transborder flying, those flights aren't as lucrative for those airlines compared to flying more domestic route options.

Working for YEG:
Geography - Being isolated with Calgary being the only reasonable place to drive means flying is best option for a large number of trips. Also need to better leverage the gateway to the north, we see too many flights overfly YEG but could be taking in more of the Northern AB,BC, & territories flying.
Population - We are keeping pace with Calgary and continued growth makes it harder for YEG to be ignored by airlines over time.
Capacity - Travelers that use YEG be it as their origin/destination or for connections, appreciate the experience for the most part and that helps make the case for more at YEG.

It's easy to fall into the trap of "just one more" but, I think passenger numbers we are a little too far behind Calgary and a little not far enough ahead of Ottawa. Would be quite satisfied though if we end up getting ORD, Texas (DFW or IAH), & London (LGW or LHR).

Who said they were being a spokesperson for airlines? People have been saying they should do better for four generations of management now we have a a local CEO passionate about Edmonton and has only been on the job for a couple of years. Recovering from Covid-19 has been a challenge but in spite of that WS has decided to base some of they flight crew in Edmonton in order to serve our airport better especially the trans border flights. Did they do this spontaneously or did EIA management have a hand in this? I will let you judge as I am sure you will.
One of the most detrimental instruments in our airline duopoly is the air miles people accrue on their credit cards. This allows the airlines to lead people around buy the nose and follow the traffic patterns that best suit them and stifle competition. Hard to fight “free”

Geography - Being north means backtracking on connections heading south in many circumstances.
This is very dependent on where you're flying to. If you're going to the US, or most other Canadian Cities, then yes, Calgary is closer and requires less southward backtracking. However, if you're travelling to Europe, due to the curvature of the earth, you actually fly north over Greenland and the Arctic Archipelago, so Edmonton is actually closer than Calgary to most European Destinations by flying.

Who said they were being a spokesperson for airlines? People have been saying they should do better for four generations of management now we have a a local CEO passionate about Edmonton and has only been on the job for a couple of years. Recovering from Covid-19 has been a challenge but in spite of that WS has decided to base some of they flight crew in Edmonton in order to serve our airport better especially the trans border flights. Did they do this spontaneously or did EIA management have a hand in this? I will let you judge as I am sure you will.
One of the most detrimental instruments in our airline duopoly is the air miles people accrue on their credit cards. This allows the airlines to lead people around buy the nose and follow the traffic patterns that best suit them and stifle competition. Hard to fight “free”

I am an Aeroplan member who accrues points with my credit card. However, I would rather fly on WJ or Flair instead of AC and will continue as such until AC shows more love for YEG. I can always redeem my Aeroplan points for gift cards and whatnot.

This is very dependent on where you're flying to. If you're going to the US, or most other Canadian Cities, then yes, Calgary is closer and requires less southward backtracking. However, if you're travelling to Europe, due to the curvature of the earth, you actually fly north over Greenland and the Arctic Archipelago, so Edmonton is actually closer than Calgary to most European Destinations by flying.
Also if you're flying east-west, over long distances, the differences are marginal between someone going from Victoria to Ottawa via Edmonton vs Calgary.

100% which is why I said south because flights to the states, Mexico, and Caribbean make up a big chunk of the flights that would be at question.

100% which is why I said south because flights to the states, Mexico, and Caribbean make up a big chunk of the flights that would be at question.
I guess the preference and demand from travellers for nonstop flights means nothing in your view.

One wild card is Edmonton's population. If Edmonton can manage to stay more affordable while accommodating tens of thousands of new comers, we could be expected to see even greater population growth. In a few short years the population will hit 2 million and could hit 2.5 in maybe 15 yrs (especially if rest of Canada gets worse and worse for affordability)... this really opens up air service demand and starts to drive economies of scale.

Never thought Alexi would come right out and say it but he did! Such a strange business plan for an airline…..to be so proud about 1 city being so connected. No other victories Alexi! As long as YYC can s so connected, you’re gonna rest your laurels on that?
IMG_1844.png

I guess the preference and demand from travellers for nonstop flights means nothing in your view.
I absolutely factor in traveller preference and demand and paired that with factors that airlines consider.

I also looked at the current landscape with airlines and possibilities for what they could provide. I am as big of a YEG booster as anyone but I feel confident I’ve outlined an objective view of things.

Is there any update on the status of the departures roadway construction? I recall some rumours of March 2024 being in the timeline at one point.

Back