News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

I'm betting most of the $30M cost is "administrative overhead" aka "we don't want this" fee.
To be fair, underestimating actuals is a huge no-no.

But definitely not the first time I have seen a bewildering estimate come out from administration that is 75%+ higher than what I can figure on a dollar basis.

Reading on Airliners.net that Porter is opening bases in Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver this year. If that is the case, I am disappointed that YEG is not a base. Big missed opportunity for YEG and Porter. AC has Vancouver, WestJet has Calgary, given what I have heard and read that Porter has had better success at YEG than at YYC it seems like a missed opportunity. I wonder if YEG management even took a run at positioning YEG as a base.

Overview of WestJet's Transborder Flights from Edmonton this Summer:

12:45 ATL (daily)
7:00 LAX (Monday and Tuesday)
7:00 PHX (Wednesday and Saturday)
7:15 LAS (Sunday and Friday)
8:25 MCO (Saturday)
9:30 MSP (daily)
10:15 BNA (Sunday and Thursday)
10:50 LAS (Monday)
11:30 SFO (except Tuesday and Friday)
12:55 LAX (daily)
1:34 SEA (except Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday)
3:55 MSP (except Thursday and Sunday)
4:40 LAX (Friday)
5:30 LAS (daily)

Here are some highlights of WestJet's summer schedule when compared to last year's. Lots of growth to the US and Atlantic Canada. A few more international flights will help with numbers as well.

Abbotsford 14x weekly (new - previously Swoop)
Atlanta 7x weekly (new)
Cancun 2x weekly (up from 1x)
Halifax 16x weekly (up from 14x)
Los Angeles 10x weekly (up from 7x)
Minneapolis 12x weekly (up from 5x)
Moncton 4x weekly (up from 2x)
Nashville 2x weekly (new)
Orlando 1x weekly (new - previously winter only)
Phoenix 2x weekly (new - previously winter only)
Puerto Vallarta 1x weekly (new - previously winter only)
San Francisco 5x weekly (new)
St. John's 7x weekly (up from 6x)

Penticton and London, ON have been dropped.

I may be wrong but I don’t think Flair is giving YEG anymore routes this summer. They already cut Nashville from their schedule.

We’ll still have YKF (x3 weekly) as an alternative to YYZ, and it’s been moved from a red-eye to an early morning flight.

From the report:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 4.20.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 4.21.20 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 4.21.42 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 4.22.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 4.23.02 PM.png

Before anyone gets too excited about an additional runway, that is still decades away, according to the master plan:

"The existing runway system provides sufficient capacity for the planning horizon of the Master Plan 2048. A parallel runway continues to be identified beyond the planning horizon as it is an important and impactful piece of infrastructure."

Even if that third runway comes to fruition, they'll need to convince the province to re-align a twinned Hwy 19 and that's assuming the provincial government will play ball with the airport.
Also, the Hwy 2 interchange improvements should have happened already.

Back