News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Two observations.
1. YEG is projected to be primarily a regional airport for the foreseeable future.
2. No provision for LRT at the terminal.

RE: #2 - kinda sorta given 'express transit' leaving options open, which is odd given that the last one had it.

Haven’t had time to read it front to back but very conservative and underwhelming for sure.

Passenger growth expectations are quite low which sets the tone for a lot of the plan for sure. I love the moving of regional domestic plane gates to the end of the north terminal area which will allow for a modest expansion/modernization the secure side of the older terminal area.

I understand the restrained approach but will be a long 10 years waiting for the next version.

Two observations.
1. YEG is projected to be primarily a regional airport for the foreseeable future.
2. No provision for LRT at the terminal.
There is a good new motto for Edmonton here - City of Modest Ambitions. At least it would be honest and consistent. Heck we can't even seem to get bus service from downtown to the airport little less LRT.

Haven’t had time to read it front to back but very conservative and underwhelming for sure.

Passenger growth expectations are quite low which sets the tone for a lot of the plan for sure. I love the moving of regional domestic plane gates to the end of the north terminal area which will allow for a modest expansion/modernization the secure side of the older terminal area.

I understand the restrained approach but will be a long 10 years waiting for the next version.
Couldn't agree more.

Positives:
1. The baggage area will be refreshed
2. The north terminal will be refreshed/updated to move the Gate 49 operations further north
3. There seems to be an ambition for (part) of the cargo area development to get going

Negatives:
1. How in the world is that interchange work beyond 2048? That should absolutely be a priority for the airport working with the province yesterday. Not only is that intersection a complete joke, I have to believe at the very least its at capacity right now
2. While I agree the report from my read is very conservative, nothing screams conservative and underwhelming than straight-line growing passengers to 14M by 2048 (while just down the road Calgary reached 18.5M this past year) and the focus area of growth in that report was overwhelmingly domestic. It reads as is they had this big exciting vision and that's to be Canada's largest regional airport
2A. There isn't actually anything explicit at all in that report that highlights their focus on connecting Edmonton globally via new routes, flights, destinations, airliners, etc. which is, you know, their primary role and function
3. I am disappointed to see that the big exciting cargo development that they announced $100M government funding for in 2022 is partly going to be targeted for by 2048 and the rest is labelled beyond 2048. 24 years+ is a long time, and if you are trying to convince the world you are serious about being a key inland port cargo Mecca, you will surely be lapped by competitors if that is your timeframe. For reference, In 2007 the first MOU to create Port Alberta was signed and in the past 17 years we know how little has happened since and how others ports have stepped up (in that time Calgary solidified itself as the port in Alberta)

In conclusion, it seems like the plan is to focus on things that need to be done, which is great, overdue and sorely needed. But beyond that, there is very little that inspires and given the long-time horizon, is actually quite underwhelming and sadly disappointing.

Last edited:
There is a good new motto for Edmonton here - City of Modest Ambitions. At least it would be honest and consistent. Heck we can't even seem to get bus service from downtown to the airport little less LRT.
Funny you should say that. I said to someone over 20 years ago “Edmonton is a great place to live for someone with medium ambitions“ Hasn’t changed a bit.

Funny you should say that. I said to someone over 20 years ago “Edmonton is a great place to live for someone with medium ambitions“ Hasn’t changed a bit.
Disagree... many fortune seekers, bright eyed prospectors, big dreamers have come to Edmonton and made their mark. It's a defining part of municipal identity.

I agree that many ambitious people come here and some do very well. The modest ambitions are more those of our current civic leaders who seem rudderless and without vision.

I hope some of those ambitious people step forward to not just succeed in their own personal financial and business lives, but to also help the city move forward more.

I realize the current civic leaders seem some what entrenched, but I think there is a lot of dissatisfaction with them and this it soon may be the time for change.

January 2024
Terminal Traffic: 499,246 passengers (1.1% YOY growth)
Domestic: 360,131 passengers (-3.2% YOY growth)
Transborder: 62,350 passengers (3% YOY growth)
International: 76,765 passengers (25.3% YOY growth)

Fixed base operators (FBO): 54,350 (20% YOY growth)

Total Passengers: 553.596 (2.7% YOY growth)

FBO and International good, domestic not so good. Porter's flights not making up for less Flair. Also wondering if a sign of the times for people's personal finances although we will have to see how other airports January numbers look.

January 2024
Terminal Traffic: 499,246 passengers (1.1% YOY growth)
Domestic: 360,131 passengers (-3.2% YOY growth)
Transborder: 62,350 passengers (3% YOY growth)
International: 76,765 passengers (25.3% YOY growth)

Fixed base operators (FBO): 54,350 (20% YOY growth)

Total Passengers: 553.596 (2.7% YOY growth)

FBO and International good, domestic not so good. Porter's flights not making up for less Flair. Also wondering if a sign of the times for people's personal finances although we will have to see how other airports January numbers look.
Interesting that International is busier than Transborder. YEG must be unique among the major airports to see that?

Interesting that International is busier than Transborder. YEG must be unique among the major airports to see that?
Without actually looking I am wondering if YUL might be similar but not sure. The troubling reality is the bottom line number (which probably informs some of the real restraint in the recent master plan) which is the January 2024 total passengers number is still over 100,000 less passengers for the month compared to 2019 numbers. We would need to see about 6 inbound and 6 outbound daily 787 flights per day completely full of people just to close that gap.

Without actually looking I am wondering if YUL might be similar but not sure. The troubling reality is the bottom line number (which probably informs some of the real restraint in the recent master plan) which is the January 2024 total passengers number is still over 100,000 less passengers for the month compared to 2019 numbers. We would need to see about 6 inbound and 6 outbound daily 787 flights per day completely full of people just to close that gap.
I'm thinking that's largely attributable to Air Canada's former regional operations that have shut down and that some Transborder flights have not yet restarted. I do think WestJet is probably ahead of where they were in 2019?

I could understand that Montreal, which is not growing much, might not have many more travelers, but a lot of people have come here over the last couple of years. Do these people not travel?

Curious to see what this ends up looking like.

MASTER PLAN 2048 PARKADE

Edmonton Airports plans to rebuild and repurpose Parkade 1 as a multi-modal ground transportation hub. This would include the expansion of rental car facilities, the relocation of ground transportation providers, alternative fuels charging, and modern parking technology. The facility upgrades would improve the passenger experience, and support long-term expense management.

Back