News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Strange…..WS has added: daily to ATL. 12 weekly to Minneapolis. Extended year round to both MCO and PHX. Plus SFO and NSH…..so maybe the friend has to wait u top these flights get up and running in the Summer?

Not doubting the friend but does seem odd given the crew base was only large enough to support a handful of aircraft and Westjet is doing a god amount of flying out of YEG now. Would appear to be poor resource management in what has widely been described as a very tight market for pilots.

Having ridden the route many times with bags, there are 3 far cheaper improvements that would help tomorrow:
- A better waiting area at YEG (I don't see why YEG couldn't invest in this)
- Better frequency, especially off-peak (but doubling frequency all day would be helpful)
- A much better stop at Century Park. Getting off at that street stop and crossing to the LRT with bags is a form of torture.

"The new route could attract more conference goers and boost the economic potential of the airport and downtown" is the most important part. I recall Puneeta McBryan saying that Edmonton has lost out on convention bids due to the lack of a direct shuttle between YEG and downtown.

My only question is where will the downtown shuttle terminal be located?
Will it be a terminal at all or just a bus stop. If it is a terminal it will need LRT connectivity. The City should have scenarios for this already and protected some space? Perhaps next to RAM?

Strange…..WS has added: daily to ATL. 12 weekly to Minneapolis. Extended year round to both MCO and PHX. Plus SFO and NSH…..so maybe the friend has to wait u top these flights get up and running in the Summer?
These routes were announced and most added last year … what has changed is some frequencies.

Having ridden the route many times with bags, there are 3 far cheaper improvements that would help tomorrow:
- Better frequency, especially off-peak (but doubling frequency all day would be helpful)
- A much better stop at Century Park. Getting off at that street stop and crossing to the LRT with bags is a form of torture.
There are a lot of improvements that can be made to make Edmonton friendlier to visitors. From the train station in the middle of nowhere, to no direct connection from the airport to downtown.

It seems like we treat consistently visitors like an afterthought at best or at worst a nuisance and then we wonder why people from elsewhere continue to have a negative impression of our city.

I still remember chatting with a pair of German tourists who arrived via the Canadian to no nearby public transit connection who thought that they arrived in the wrong place given that Edmonton was a city of (at the time) a million and the provincial capital.

I think the issue of the annoying transfer will be resolved once the LRT is extended down to Heritage Valley and that can be the spot where the 747 drops people off. No annoying pedway to deal with there (another reason I am so damn excited for this LRT extension)

Nice 👍

In Mid October 2023 I did an Asia trip✈️ ,from Edmonton (YEG)-Vancouver (YVR)-Seoul (ICN) - Hong Kong (HKG) & coming back end of November did HKG-ICN-YVR-YEG. I passed through these 4 airports & 2 times each.

So I’m counted as a Domestic passenger for both YVR/YEG & then as an International passenger for YVR,ICN & HKG as well too correct?

Salt Lake and JFK would be the next two Westjet flights we hopefully get to get to more of Delta's hubs.
Well, with the NHL potentially moving to Salt Lake City, that would be a nice flight to add to the YEG list. I mean, I know it's a good hub too but it be another reason for Oiler fans to head to a game down south.

Back