News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Porter and Air Transat is going into a Joint Venture. Wonder if YEG can benefit from this?

I wonder if they were testing it already this year. When I moved away from Edmonton in May, I had to buy a separate ticket to Toronto, stay over night, then Air Transat to my destination on a separate ticket. But then, in July when my sister came to visit she was able to book on one ticket with porter/air transat. I was wondering about the inconsistency of it being available as one ticket sometimes and other times not. Hopefully this means more consistency

Really need to see some photo updates of this new departures roadway build which I haven't had a chance to check out personally. Might be an excuse to head out to the airport this month.

Really need to see some photo updates of this new departures roadway build which I haven't had a chance to check out personally. Might be an excuse to head out to the airport this month.
Is the roadway completed?...I flew out on the 19th and it was still shut down.....it was hard to see any type of progress thru the cracks in the plywood....lol

Cool. My friend who came to visit me in Mx from YEG was really upset about the roadwork. I am not sure what the issue was but he is quite old and said he had to walk with luggage a very long way. I don't know who dropped him off or where. I wish there was a drone video to give a birds eye view but photos would be great.

I wonder if they were testing it already this year. When I moved away from Edmonton in May, I had to buy a separate ticket to Toronto, stay over night, then Air Transat to my destination on a separate ticket. But then, in July when my sister came to visit she was able to book on one ticket with porter/air transat. I was wondering about the inconsistency of it being available as one ticket sometimes and other times not. Hopefully this means more consistency
Yes Porter first did a codeshare with Transit (what your sister experienced) and this new deal means they'll coordinate schedules through Montreal and Toronto and share risk for the success of the venture.

So, info from an internal source at the Delta:

They're positively surprised with the performance of the WestJet YEG-MSP flight, and the amount of passengers on code-sharing flights coming from here.
Delta would like if WestJet were to add more flights.

According to her, Delta has explored the idea of flying some routes from YEG, but WestJet kind of bullied them out, and promised more destinations to connect with Delta's hubs, in exchange for Delta no entering the airport.

The source is reasonably credible, but not enough of an insider that I trust everything she says. But where there's smoke...

I wouldn't be shocked if we got JFK if Atlanta is a success.

They're positively surprised with the performance of the WestJet YEG-MSP flight, and the amount of passengers on code-sharing flights coming from here.

According to her, Delta has explored the idea of flying some routes from YEG, but WestJet kind of bullied them out, and promised more destinations to connect with Delta's hubs, in exchange for Delta no entering the airport.

The source is reasonably credible, but not enough of an insider that I trust everything she says. But where there's smoke...

JFK would be a large win.

Last edited:

I guess this is the downside of these relationships. While the status match and connections Delta provides with Westjet is great. It's frustrating to hear that they are being boxed out of actual Delta flights to YEG.

I guess this is the downside of these relationships. While the status match and connections Delta provides with Westjet is great. It's frustrating to hear that they are being boxed out of actual Delta flights to YEG.
We have probably done better with what we have at this moment on Westjet metal than what Delta would be offering otherwise, if this is indeed the case. If Delta really saw an opening in the market I doubt they would pay much concern, nor would it be appropriate for Westjet to dictate their routes particularly without a joint-venture or Alliance membership.

Back