News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

As I said, this summer's schedule was released in February, so you can expect next year's in February.
Thank you. Is it normally done via press release or on their website? I'm new to all of this so I don't really know how it works.

Thank you. Is it normally done via press release or on their website? I'm new to all of this so I don't really know how it works.
Usually by press release if they're adding flights, on their website if they're cutting.

Usually, they'll put out a release and post on their socials that the summer schedule is out.

IMG_2522.jpeg

Looking at passenger numbers looks like monthly growth year over year took a bit of a dive in September to a still decent 16.4% total increase. I think that might be the last double digit increase we see as October flight numbers levelled out and while I suspect there will be growth it will very likely by single digit percentage. Looks like we have run out of runway on big pandemic recovery growth numbers and consumer spending on leisure travel has likely stalled out to some degree due to economic headwinds.

Looking at passenger numbers looks like monthly growth year over year took a bit of a dive in September to a still decent 16.4% total increase. I think that might be the last double digit increase we see as October flight numbers levelled out and while I suspect there will be growth it will very likely by single digit percentage. Looks like we have run out of runway on big pandemic recovery growth numbers and consumer spending on leisure travel has likely stalled out to some degree due to economic headwinds.
Future growth will be dependent on population growth, and potentially to restore some hub operations at YEG. I agree it will probably be slower going from here on out.

Indeed population growth can't hurt but the CMA has grown by about 100k ppl (~6.9%) since the busy years 2018/2019 where traffic was ~8.2 million. This year traffic will be in the 7.5-7.6 million range so a good ways to make up the gap. This summer Westjet made some adds in destinations and frequency that have potential to drive connecting traffic so will give that some time to play out and if they are satisfied with things perhaps next summer could see more presence. Routes like Abbotsford moving from defunct Swoop to mainline will naturally help connectivity.

Is anyone concerned about KLM with their tightening of flight movements out of Amsterdam? They have been good with YEG but always worried where the next casualties will be of that situation.

Indeed population growth can't hurt but the CMA has grown by about 100k ppl (~6.9%) since the busy years 2018/2019 where traffic was ~8.2 million. This year traffic will be in the 7.5-7.6 million range so a good ways to make up the gap. This summer Westjet made some adds in destinations and frequency that have potential to drive connecting traffic so will give that some time to play out and if they are satisfied with things perhaps next summer could see more presence. Routes like Abbotsford moving from defunct Swoop to mainline will naturally help connectivity.

Is anyone concerned about KLM with their tightening of flight movements out of Amsterdam? They have been good with YEG but always worried where the next casualties will be of that situation.
You have to think KLM is doing pretty well based on sending larger aircraft this winter, and Air France has been expanding in Canada so might be a potential option if KLM is capacity constrained.

Back