News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Priorities:
Finding a new CEO that can achieve:
East and West Coast - new and additional flights
International for passengers and cargo - mentions Europe and Asia
Looking at low-cost opportunities/destinations
Getting flights back that we had - IAH, ORD

My addition in bold

Flair offers a lot more destinations than Air Canada.
Of course, Air Canada and Westjet just want to protect their cozy duopoly to continue to rip off Canadians and provide poor service. But hey, they are Canadian - so they are allowed to gouge their customers and provide bad service right?

Enough of the bs - as the saying goes patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel and they are now conveniently wrapping themselves in the flag as they face the first real competition they have had in years.

I hope the politicians in Ottawa don't fall for this.

Of course, Air Canada and Westjet just want to protect their cozy duopoly to continue to rip off Canadians and provide poor service. But hey, they are Canadian - so they are allowed to gouge their customers and provide bad service right?

Enough of the bs - as the saying goes patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel and they are now conveniently wrapping themselves in the flag as they face the first real competition they have had in years.

AC head office is in Quebec. Need I say more.

didn't Max Ward have the same complaints. he couldn't expand without AC and CP calling in government favors.

For comparison, inspiration and competitive awareness.
---
Updated Summer 2022 YYC Intl long-haul summary (all to Europe - lost NRT and PEK)

43 flights per week - 41 of which will be operated by 789 Dreamliners

AC 7 LHR 789 - London
AC 7 FRA 789 - Frankfurt
KL 7 AMS 789 - Amsterdam
WS 4 LHR 789 - London
WS 5 LGW 789 - London - Gatwick
WS 5 CDG 789 - Paris
WS 3 DUB 789 - Dublin
WS 3 FCO 789 - Rome
WK 2 ZRH 343 - Zurich

Wednesdays will have 8 flights
Sundays 7 flights
Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays 6 flights
Mondays and Tuesdays 5 flights

---
*awaits critics reply to go post elsewhere

---
Updated Summer 2022 YYC Intl long-haul summary (all to Europe - lost NRT and PEK)

AC 7 LHR 789 - London
AC 7 FRA 789 - Frankfurt
KL 7 AMS 789 - Amsterdam
WS 4 LHR 789 - London
WS 5 CDG 789 - Paris
WS 3 DUB 789 - Dublin
WS 3 FCO 789 - Rome
WK 2 ZRH 343 - Zurich

Sundays 7 flights

---
Hey, but we got Swoop to Ottawa 👏👏👏

I understand that WestJet and Onex's strategy is to pump as much out of Calgary as they can. But to have both Air Canada and WestJet stuff 16 weekly flights to London while Edmonton cannot secure one is a real testament to why this has absolutely nothing to do with demand or yields. I have no inside knowledge but I would be willing to bet that either of those carrier would be able to make more on a once daily (heck, thrice weekly) flight from Edmonton than on their 14th, 15th, or 16th flight from Calgary, however, they choose not to.

Last edited:
Lynx Air is offering 5 flights a week from Edmonton to St. John's Newfoundland starting mid July for as low as $199 one way.
Of note, the flights are not direct, but via Toronto. Just need one boarding pass though.

At the end of July, two flights a week to Halifax from Edmonton via Toronto will be added. That will make 7 flights per week to Toronto from Edmonton. Lots of competition for that route.

Lynx Air is offering 5 flights a week from Edmonton to St. John's Newfoundland starting mid July for as low as $199 one way.
Of note, the flights are not direct, but via Toronto. Just need one boarding pass though.

At the end of July, two flights a week to Halifax from Edmonton via Toronto will be added. That will make 7 flights per week to Toronto from Edmonton. Lots of competition for that route.

It’s a connection … no big deal.

---

AC 7 LHR 789 - London
AC 7 FRA 789 - Frankfurt
KL 7 AMS 789 - Amsterdam
WS 4 LHR 789 - London
WS 5 CDG 789 - Paris
WS 3 DUB 789 - Dublin
WS 3 FCO 789 - Rome
WK 2 ZRH 343 - Zurich

Sundays 7 flights

---
The interesting thing is the economic spin off from international flights. I wouldn't be surprised to see that without these flights, the Calgary economy is actually smaller than Edmonton's and Edmonton's population would exceed Calgary's again. It really is an artificial situation which has been created through crony capitalism aimed at propping up Calgary in the face of Edmonton taking over as the larger of the two centres.. i.e. how Edmonton was the larger of the two cities for most of the 20th century.

^One of the most inaccurate posts in recent memory.
Which part? Edmonton was indeed larger than Calgary until 2 decades ago. Calgary amalgamation benefited from growth under a single city whereas Edmonton suffered by not being allowed amalgamation of its suburbs. Indeed it was crony American capitalism in the oil patch that moved offices from Edmonton to Calgary. IanO your constant put down of Edmonton and boosting of our southern city neighbour is really irksome at best and spiteful at worst. Maybe it’s time for you to take a hiatus?

Alright let's stop the toxicity now. I'm very much Team Edmonton and Team EIA but IanO's criticism of occidentalcapital is valid. First of all, let's get it out of the way that YYC is not the end-all-be-all driver of Calgary's economy that propelled it ahead of Edmonton. That is very much the oil headquarters there, which only exist in Calgary because the first oil deposits in Alberta were found in the Turner Valley area nearby and then as more oil companies popped up over the century, they simply set themselves up where the oil headquarters already were. Those head offices and their lucrative business travellers are the reason why YYC became so successful in an era of the hub-and-spoke model being pre-eminent in aviation. Bigger trends in the overall oil economy whose benefits were mainly felt by the Calgary head offices are the main reason Calgary surpassed Edmonton and more international flights were a spinoff from that. Edmonton did put up decent competition with Wardair and the international flights before, but our lack of a unified airport hub and oil head offices simply didn't work in our favour. However, I will concede that in recent years, despite the 1million+ size of the city, Air Canada and Westjet have been shafting us.

Now play nice everyone.

Back