News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Hey guys, if I wanted to book a one-stop flight itinerary between Edmonton and some other destination with a layover in Frankfurt, how would I go about doing that?

I know that Condor flies between Edmonton and Frankfurt on Tuesday (leaves YEG on Tuesday, lands on Wednesday in FRA, and return trip is same-day Tuesday), so I’m trying to input those days of the week in the summertime on booking apps.

However, I want to be able to fly with Lufthansa between Frankfurt and my final destination and back, but the booking services get finicky at this point. Rather than giving me one-stop itineraries from YEG-FRA-Destination using Condor and Lufthansa, I just get 2+-stop itineraries, even though the Condor and Lufthansa flight schedules would line up.

How do I get the booking sites to give me my desired itinerary without having to book Condor and Lufthansa separately and risk not having coordination between the flights?

(As you can see, I am going to great lengths for a 1-stop itinerary)
Best approach is to book on Condor's website. Last time I looked you could build connections that way. Google flights wasn't showing the connections.

Best approach is to book on Condor's website. Last time I looked you could build connections that way. Google flights wasn't showing the connections.
There must be a glitch on the Condor system as it "reads" on the return 1 stop return for example from BER but when you go check the stops before booking book it shows a WS flight as a second stop on Tuesday return dates. Not sure why that is happening .

I see the issue on Condor booking site - the Tuesday return shows an additional stop by Westjet. Muse be a glitch? You can use a reputable travel agent if you are having problems are phone the reservation line.
I found no issue using Kayak for your flight options, selecting 1 stop only and using Berlin as the final destinations as an example.
Personally I would use KLM nonstop to Amsterdam which flys to 9 major cities in Germany and offers better choices for dates and time and is competitive to Condor/LH.
Would love to be able to fly KLM, but unfortunately, Hyderabad, India (my final destination) only connects directly to Europe via London and Frankfurt (by Lufthansa). It’s also worth mentioning that Lufthansa launched the route literally last week, so I wonder if that’s why there are glitches?

Stats Can published new data showing the number of passengers screened in December 2023.

In December, six of Canada's eight largest airports reported increases in year-over-year screened passenger traffic, with Ottawa Macdonald Cartier International, Montréal-Trudeau International, and Toronto Pearson International reporting double-digit increases.

Conversely, Edmonton International (-1.8%) and Halifax Stanfield International (-1.1%) both experienced a drop in traffic in December compared with December 2022.
GeographyEdmonton International, Alberta
Screened trafficAugust 2023 September 2023 October 2023 November 2023 December 2023
Total screened traffic 343,741281,814281,675252,544256,546
Total passengers 338,603277,735277,480248,218252,881
Domestic sector passengers 300,766242,882231,995185,108184,516
Transborder sector passengers 27,80827,08534,05933,49233,812
Other International sector passengers 10,0297,76811,42629,61834,553

I do feel the extremely mild November and December weather played some role in this. Usually cold weather at that time of the year provides an incentive to take a trip some place warmer.

I suspect a lot of people this year just said, its not too bad here - we'll just stay here or maybe plan to go somewhere later in the winter instead.

The facts speak for themselves...the 3 largest US airlines serving Canada are UA, DL and AA - but the only flight we have is UA Denver.
This does not mean that an effort is not being made, just that the results you want haven't been achieved yet.

I do feel the extremely mild November and December weather played some role in this. Usually cold weather at that time of the year provides an incentive to take a trip some place warmer.

I suspect a lot of people this year just said, its not too bad here - we'll just stay here or maybe plan to go somewhere later in the winter instead.
It was a warm start to the winter everywhere it wasn’t peculiar to YEG. The disparity is quite alarming when you consider our population has grown about 4% over the past year you would think there would have been modest growth at least.

Perhaps, if that is a unique to Edmonton thing and tells a portion of the story but it was mild elsewhere and they saw growth. I think the good majority of sun vacations are booked far enough in advance of reasonably estimating the weather.

Things have really been quite the grind for YEG to see passenger growth. The big population growth has been the only saving factor from keeping things from looking really bleak.

Yes, I realize it was warmer in many places (many of which normally have milder climates), but Edmonton is normally a lot colder at this time of year.

So, I think the temperature difference was more noticeable and had more of an impact here.

I don't think everyone books that far in advance and some seeing the mild November weather had even less incentive to do so.

Flair was bigger and indeed Swoop was around although some of that has been offset by Westjet growth. I don't discredit the lower sun travel theory but somewhere similar like Winnipeg seeing growth makes me wonder.

Would love to be able to fly KLM, but unfortunately, Hyderabad, India (my final destination) only connects directly to Europe via London and Frankfurt (by Lufthansa). It’s also worth mentioning that Lufthansa launched the route literally last week, so I wonder if that’s why there are glitches?
The glitches are on the Condor booking site - as you can see from Kayak and Expedia you can book the tickets you want with 1 stop each way in FRA. Looking at connections website (https://www.flightconnections.com/flights-from-hyderabad-hyd) we can see you are limited to LHR & FRA. I see flights from FRA to HYD are 5 weekly (MTWThSa). Very cool to have only 1 stop from YEG to HYD on Condor/LH. I suggest you phone Condor and have them book or look at it with the flight numbers from Expedia or Kayak. Advise them of the glitch. If the are is better with Expedia why not book a single ticket?

Imagine a "Flairport" on the Coliseum site (repurposing the existing building) that would explore an untapped transit potential to hinterland destinations in Central and Northern Alberta -- using naught but electric VTOLs.

Back