News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Hey, anything to chip away at YYC's dominance and stranglehold over flight/hub status on the Prairies is a great thing in my books.

But,WestJet is going to continue its dominance at Calgary YYC hub & add flights ✈️ like :YYC -Seoul ICN, South Korea 🇰🇷 on 3x weekly in S24 & YYC - Keflavik KEF, Iceland 🇮🇸 up to 4x weekly S24 & increased flights the US🇺🇸 & even Tokyo Japan 🇯🇵 for S24.

Lynx, Porter, Flair additional flight frequencies. YYC is in good 👍 shape , even with Air Canada being stagnant there.

Last edited:
“Manitoba: In 2022 — as a pandemic-recovery effort — the province shelled out $4.8 million to the WAA to improve direct flight connectivity. The following year, it announced a further $5 million.“ … “WAA remains constantly in talks about further direct flight routes, Hays noted.”

Obviously YWG is pursuing direct flights. YEG needs to be doing the same. I am not saying they funded UA directly but likely used the government funds to ease landing fees and other enducements..
. https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/b...from-winnipeg-to-chicago-denver-resume-in-may

“Manitoba: In 2022 — as a pandemic-recovery effort — the province shelled out $4.8 million to the WAA to improve direct flight connectivity. The following year, it announced a further $5 million.“ … “WAA remains constantly in talks about further direct flight routes, Hays noted.”

Obviously YWG is pursuing direct flights. YEG needs to be doing the same. I am not saying they funded UA directly but likely used the government funds to ease landing fees and other enducements..
. https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/b...from-winnipeg-to-chicago-denver-resume-in-may
The UA flights did not have any funds issues by the provincial government. All that was done was active ongoing negotiations to bring them back between the WAA and UA.

As for LAX and ATL, none of the government grants have been used to date as the flights have been more than successful.

I just wonder if chasing airlines really works as a long term strategy. I'd think the ideal is to become a market where the airlines are coming to you not the other way around.

It takes more than waiting in-line to be noticed by UA or AA. EIA has to pursue the airlines for routes like other airports/economic development authorities do.
I would presume EIA is actively pursuing various route opportunities, but if this is not the case do provide some facts to back that up.

Can you imagine UCP giving YEG $4million let alone $70million

I just wonder if chasing airlines really works as a long term strategy. I'd think the ideal is to become a market where the airlines are coming to you not the other way around.
The blunt reality is that if you aren't one of the top three aéroport hubs in Canada, or WestJet in Calgary, then you are not a first choice for any airline. So in order to create your business, you have to roll up your sleeves and do some cold calling to sell yourself as a viable destination. otherwise you will not get noticed. Once you start building up service to a critical mass, that is when others may take notice of you and organic growth may ensue.

Luckily for both Edmonton and Winnipeg, WestJet is building up both airports as regional hubs, but apart from that, our airports need to stand out and be noticed by the other big players in the airline industry. And as good as it is to have WestJet focusing efforts on us, I don't think either airport would want a WestJet passenger monopoly as it wouldn't be good for creating competition and keeping prices competitive for consumers.

I would presume EIA is actively pursuing various route opportunities, but if this is not the case do provide some facts to back that up.
The facts speak for themselves...the 3 largest US airlines serving Canada are UA, DL and AA - but the only flight we have is UA Denver.

Last edited:
Hey guys, if I wanted to book a one-stop flight itinerary between Edmonton and some other destination with a layover in Frankfurt, how would I go about doing that?

I know that Condor flies between Edmonton and Frankfurt on Tuesday (leaves YEG on Tuesday, lands on Wednesday in FRA, and return trip is same-day Tuesday), so I’m trying to input those days of the week in the summertime on booking apps.

However, I want to be able to fly with Lufthansa between Frankfurt and my final destination and back, but the booking services get finicky at this point. Rather than giving me one-stop itineraries from YEG-FRA-Destination using Condor and Lufthansa, I just get 2+-stop itineraries, even though the Condor and Lufthansa flight schedules would line up.

How do I get the booking sites to give me my desired itinerary without having to book Condor and Lufthansa separately and risk not having coordination between the flights?

(As you can see, I am going to great lengths for a 1-stop itinerary)

Hey guys, if I wanted to book a one-stop flight itinerary between Edmonton and some other destination with a layover in Frankfurt, how would I go about doing that?

I know that Condor flies between Edmonton and Frankfurt on Tuesday (leaves YEG on Tuesday, lands on Wednesday in FRA, and return trip is same-day Tuesday), so I’m trying to input those days of the week in the summertime on booking apps.

However, I want to be able to fly with Lufthansa between Frankfurt and my final destination and back, but the booking services get finicky at this point. Rather than giving me one-stop itineraries from YEG-FRA-Destination using Condor and Lufthansa, I just get 2+-stop itineraries, even though the Condor and Lufthansa flight schedules would line up.

How do I get the booking sites to give me my desired itinerary without having to book Condor and Lufthansa separately and risk not having coordination between the flights?

(As you can see, I am going to great lengths for a 1-stop itinerary)
I see the issue on Condor booking site - the Tuesday return shows an additional stop by Westjet. Muse be a glitch? You can use a reputable travel agent if you are having problems are phone the reservation line.
I found no issue using Kayak for your flight options, selecting 1 stop only and using Berlin as the final destinations as an example.
Personally I would use KLM nonstop to Amsterdam which flys to 9 major cities in Germany and offers better choices for dates and time and is competitive to Condor/LH.

also Expedia shows correctly: https://www.expedia.com/Flight-Info...lVnlnPT0SGQoMdXRtX2NhbXBhaWduEglOT05FX0NPUkU=

Last edited:

Back