News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Events / conferences

My understanding is that playing in Turf for qualifiers is acceptable, however the turf needs to be one that is authorized by FIFA, not sure if the one in Commonwealth is approved.
Yes, it is. When Canada hosted the 2015 Women's World Cup we changed the turf to FIFA's standard and it has been in place since then.

Well this is some welcomed (awesome) news...

A bucket list for me is to see Sevens in HK.

Well this is some welcomed (awesome) news...

A bucket list for me is to see Sevens in HK.
I really believe that sports tourism can be one of Edmonton's beat shots at positioning itself globally as a destination.
Given the sizeable fan base, we could even try to get a couple of NFL games happen here, for example.

Good to see support is strong and growing for bringing Alphonso home!

"At a time when public surveys in Tokyo show support for the Olympics dramatically dropping and states in Brazil refusing to host the Copa America, Edmonton residents are showing 77% support for hosting the 2026 World Cup, an increase of 6% from 2018. They cite their reasons for support being the economic boost (40%), exposure for the city (32%), and benefits for tourism (21%).

The numbers are even higher for an additional survey that showed 93% favourability for the hosting (up from 89% in 2018)."

This is the FISRT TIME I see Edmonton positioning itself as a tourist destination in a meaningful, somewhat convincing way!
I really believe that sports tourism might be the perfect boost to our image around the world!

Montreal is officially out leaving Edmonton and Toronto.

MONTREAL -- The City of Montreal has withdrawn from the selection process to host some games of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Canada Soccer announced Tuesday.

"We thank the City of Montreal for their participation in the bid process," the organization stated. "And look forward to continuing our collaboration with the respective municipal and provincial governments, along with the Government of Canada, in support of the selection of Edmonton, Alta. and Toronto, Ont. as host cities for the FIFA World Cup 2026."

Montreal is officially out leaving Edmonton and Toronto.

MONTREAL -- The City of Montreal has withdrawn from the selection process to host some games of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Canada Soccer announced Tuesday.

"We thank the City of Montreal for their participation in the bid process," the organization stated. "And look forward to continuing our collaboration with the respective municipal and provincial governments, along with the Government of Canada, in support of the selection of Edmonton, Alta. and Toronto, Ont. as host cities for the FIFA World Cup 2026."

Now let's hope they keep the number of games in Canada. If they're fair, they'll throw in two extra games here and one in Toronto.

Now let's hope they keep the number of games in Canada. If they're fair, they'll throw in two extra games here and one in Toronto.

Getting an extra couple games would really boost the economics if fans are around longer.

Selection of World Cup host cities has been pushed back to first half of 2022.

"In FIFA’s statement on Montreal’s withdrawal, the governing body also updated the schedule for the host city selection process.

The plan is to run venue visits from September to November 2021, with the goal of finalizing the selection in Q1/Q2 2022.

Starting in September, FIFA representatives will hope to make visits to all 22 candidate cities with COVID-19 pandemic regulations in mind."

Back