2.6K     0 

Edmonton Events / conferences

Current COVID environment
Impact on attendance/look/feel
Poor weather potential
Current state of the Downtown

Last edited:
Me too!
As discussed previously, Edmonton was selected to make Costa Rica and Mexico as uncomfortable as possible, haha

“We could have made things a lot easier and played in maybe different environments but we wanted to make it difficult for the opponent,” said Canada coach John Herdman.

“We wanted to make them travel across time zones, play in a Canadian winter and on a surface that they won’t be happy with.

“We get a chance to play two matches at home in an environment we can control and get our players acclimatized to and ready to create a fortress out west. I’m excited for that aspect.”

Super excited for this, will be there as well!
I really hope Edmontonians/Western Canadians show out for this, cause this is arguably Canada's best Men's National Team to date and if the Gold Cup was any indication, both of these games should be pretty good.

My only lowkey concerns are that the stadium doesn't fill up (I think with FIFA keeping an eye on this, and FIFA being FIFA, our WC2026 hosting aspirations might be tied to this window), and that club teams might be hesitant to release some of our top guys due to the travel, cold weather, turf etc being a risk for injury. CONCACAF is a weird and wild federation lol.

On that note, what do you all think Edmonton needs to do more of to ensure events like this are a bit more successful? and I mean Edmonton as a whole (media, Explore Edmonton, the City, businesses etc).
COVID obviously poses a new challenge for entertainment options right now, but it seems like we need to be better at promoting events to our own people here haha.

The government of Canada will be covering all security costs to host the 2026 World Cup in this country including a period of time leading up to the event.

"Security operations are not limited to stadiums but extend to any further locations used for the competition... such as training sites, team base camps, official hotels, accreditation centres, media and other event centres, international broadcast centres, FIFA fan fest sites, airports,” reads the report.

The government of Canada will be covering all security costs to host the 2026 World Cup in this country including a period of time leading up to the event.

"Security operations are not limited to stadiums but extend to any further locations used for the competition... such as training sites, team base camps, official hotels, accreditation centres, media and other event centres, international broadcast centres, FIFA fan fest sites, airports,” reads the report.

That that's a few million that won't be coming out of the CoE coffers.

I really believe that this World Cup can be the push we need to get some momentum going towards changing Edmonton for the better in several aspects.

Is it April 1st already?

Not good news if Vancouver is back in. And I was thinking it was a slam dunk we were hosting as many as 5 games.

“We have been approached by Soccer Canada and officials, by way of Soccer Canada through to FIFA, to revisit the question of whether Vancouver could be a host city for the 2026 World Cup,” Premier John Horgan told reporters after Tuesday’s speech from the throne."

"Canada will be part of a three-nation host of the World Cup for the first time, with cities in the U.S. and Mexico also getting games. Since the bid was launched, Montreal has dropped out of consideration as a Canadian host, while Edmonton has come under some scrutiny."

In another article, Horgan says this:
The premier claimed that in 2018, BC would have been bidding for “maybe” two games in Vancouver in exchange for FIFA taking control of facilities for three months. Now, Vancouver could host “maybe five games,” said Horgan.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back