Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Defeating the purpose of this place, its intent, its AED zoning goals etc. etc. etc. This ain't the parking lot at SEC.

It's too bad, but I'm not completely surprised, given that their photos of the stocked shelves still revealed a fair bit of wires hanging from the ceiling, and other incomplete work. Hopefully this is the only delay they face, and it opens soon!
Screenshot_20221007-172734_Chrome.jpg

Defeating the purpose of this place, its intent, its AED zoning goals etc. etc. etc. This ain't the parking lot at SEC.
Nope. Maybe if the glass was opaque or 'non-transparent' but I'm not going to disagree that the height of the patio enclosure 'defeats' the purpose of the place, etc, etc. Your beloved Rocky Mountain Ice House uses the same type of enclosure and it fronts onto Jasper Ave.

They put that in place for COVID and major issues of disturbance on Jasper Avenue and here's hoping it is coming down for it SUCKS.

You know better than that to defend fencing in and putting SEC style fencing around a space that is meant to open up onto an urban plaza, come on now.

Seriously dude.

They put that in place for COVID and major issues of disturbance on Jasper Avenue and here's hoping it is coming down for it SUCKS.

You know better than that to defend fencing in and putting SEC style fencing around a space that is meant to open up onto an urban plaza, come on now.

Seriously dude.
Ohhhh Ian. Then explain why Cactus has large glazing units between their patio and the Jasper. This was done looooooooong before Covid and it works just fine. Quit hyperbolizing this. 'Joe/Jane Public' won't even know the difference and the height of the 'clear' glazing dividers will have almost zero material impact on how the buildings/plaza feel. Stop.

Ohhhh Ian. Then explain why Cactus has large glazing units between their patio and the Jasper. This was done looooooooong before Covid and it works just fine. Quit hyperbolizing this. 'Joe/Jane Public' won't even know the difference and the height of the 'clear' glazing dividers will have almost zero material impact on how the buildings/plaza feel. Stop.
I agree. My/our position on Ice District plaza is we would want glass, walls or planters so we are not bothered by street urchins and hustlers. Edmonton has far too many street urchins and hustlers and I dont want them at my table while we are enjoying a meal and a glass of wine. That said I have not seen anything on the menus from the 2 restaurants opening that would excite me go.

Issues with the homeless aside, having some sort of physical barrier between people sitting on the patio and the large crowd in the plaza during events is not a bad thing, especially if the crowd in the beer garden gets rowdy. I would prefer it be similar to the half barrier like the restaurant on the other side though.

Nope. Maybe if the glass was opaque or 'non-transparent' but I'm not going to disagree that the height of the patio enclosure 'defeats' the purpose of the place, etc, etc. Your beloved Rocky Mountain Ice House uses the same type of enclosure and it fronts onto Jasper Ave.

More likely that the urban plaza is seen as a separate licensed area and they require a three foot barrier as per 4.2.4 of the AGLC guidelines:

A Class A Minors Allowed licensed patio adjacent to a Class A Minors
Prohibited licensed patio must be separated as follows:
a) Railings, wall or similar barriers must be a minimum of three feet high separating the two patios. (Amended May 2017)

Back