Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
It'll be interesting to see how the Icehouse's launch goes today. I know someone who works at the location where the staff trained and worked while waiting for construction here to wrap up, and this person says they'll have a rotten time today for two key reasons. First, because they haven't actually been able to go inside and familiarize themselves with their work areas. You can train all you want, but each restaurant will have its own unique layout, quirks, etc. Second, it's Battle of Alberta day, which will just put that much more pressure on them while they're already trying to work in an unfamiliar environment.

That being said, they've had a while to prepare themselves for this. So hopefully most things go well today, and the staff are able to meet this challenge. I'm certainly not writing them off, I just feel sympathy for them.

@CplKlinger this is standard course for the restaurant business. The best managers have a before business "huddle" that is mostly a pep talk. Having taken part in many-a-huddle, several things come out of it that are very helpful -- don't apologize for service but do explain any lapses; keep smiling and have an up-attitude through it all; overcome any extensive lapses with a token "freebie"; and employees are to rely on each other extensively. I am sure they will do just fine.

Reactions: God
Is it? Not from my experience.

Most places usually have a friends and family night prior to in-situ to avoid much of that and to open on a BoA day is not fair to the staff at all.

Trial by fire I guess.

Oh 'O... Having designed over 80 restaurants in the Greater Los Angeles area and over 100 across North America including several in Edmonton, and having owned one in Edmonton for 5 years I think my restaurant experience might just outweigh yours.

I'm not disputing that; simply relating my experience as I have been invited to many of these 'soft' openings. It is very common to do a soft (as you well know) and a really poor decision to not do something like that prior to a very, very busy night.

I'm not disputing that; simply relating my experience as I have been invited to many of these 'soft' openings. It is very common to do a soft (as you well know) and a really poor decision to not do something like that prior to a very, very busy night.
Likely there was no time. Let's not get too upset over the small stuff. Point is that this large restaurant and entertainment venue is now open which is fantastic for the area. Hope it goes well.

One last comment in regards to opening -- it is my understanding that the ICE House venue was still "under construction" up until the very last minute and since "openings" are planned weeks in advance, it may well have been impossible to have an onsite run before the day of opening -- and that is unfortunate -- but I have also been involved in similar circumstances and the "huddle" helps staff get through it. On the soft opening side (when circumstances allow) I, too, have attended over 100 (and I have the belly to prove it). At the time of this writing our group is working on the design of 8 new restaurants and one renovation, all in the County of Ventura in SoCal.

I think the managers will add more staff than usual to pick up the slack. If you are a good server and cook it won't take you long to adjust to a new layout.

It'll be interesting to see how the Icehouse's launch goes today. I know someone who works at the location where the staff trained and worked while waiting for construction here to wrap up, and this person says they'll have a rotten time today for two key reasons. First, because they haven't actually been able to go inside and familiarize themselves with their work areas. You can train all you want, but each restaurant will have its own unique layout, quirks, etc. Second, it's Battle of Alberta day, which will just put that much more pressure on them while they're already trying to work in an unfamiliar environment.

That being said, they've had a while to prepare themselves for this. So hopefully most things go well today, and the staff are able to meet this challenge. I'm certainly not writing them off, I just feel sympathy for them.
All I have to say is that this isn't their first rodeo, so hearsay is just that.

ICE District Plaza Grand Opening

20221015_183055.jpg

20221015_183128.jpg

20221015_183159.jpg

20221015_183238.jpg

20221015_183331.jpg
20221015_183341.jpg

20221015_184239.jpg

20221015_184611.jpg

20221015_184619.jpg

20221015_185027.jpg

20221015_185319.jpg

Didn’t get any great photos, but checked out the ice house and Banquet last night. Ice House is massive and quite nice, but Banquet really shines. So many people having fun, playing arcade games, bowling, etc. seems it will be a really happening place. All around quite impressed

Last edited:

Back