Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Really, really hope they have an entrance onto the plaza too. I hate that the Oilers store doesn't. Quit driving people indoors exclusively
I think using connect provides a theft deterrent and to manage undesirables that are loitering.

I get that a retail store which sells popular and some expensive items may not want to make exiting too easy. There is a problem with people dashing out without paying, not just downtown, but it is a problem downtown.

If you are selling food and beverages to be consumed on site, I don't see that applies as much, so it would be nice if they at least have an entrance to the plaza.
Large crowds are hard to control and the dine drink and dash without paying crowd would have easier access from a door right on the plaza.

^^^^ Sounds like walmart-level research.
Actually, Walmart did their research and targeted the audiences they wanted with huge credence to show for. That previously entity DIDN'T RESEARCH hence the 5 chefs to cater for the Dubias crowds that are 10k+ kilometers from us. Nevertheless, I knew what you were referring...

Last edited:
Large crowds are hard to control and the dine drink and dash without paying crowd would have easier access from a door right on the plaza.
Isn't this whole discussion re Plaza entrance rather moot considering that the space referenced is on the second floor?

Isn't this whole discussion re Plaza entrance rather moot considering that the space referenced is on the second floor?
I had thought Ice House was on the main level. I guess I was wrong. The more family orientated Banquet I had thought was on the second level. But you are the architect and have been following this project evolve.

^^^^ No, the Ice House is on the Plaza level and it does have access from and to the Plaza. The nature of their business does not warrant broad exposure to the Plaza in terms of seating. I erred in thinking that the referenced area y'all were discussing was the "for lease" space on the second floor.

The large glass patio fence seems like overkill when you're trying to feel like your patio and business is connected to the plaza, but I can also see how that would be hard to manage with large crowd. Alas it's great to have but seems cut off, less urban than it could be. Perhaps a solution in summer is to have an extended patio with picnic tables extend further beyond the permanent patio.

Just how big an area or how many seats can it host in this fenced in patio? Is the fence a regulatory requirement?

Hard to tell how large it is. It's a large bar so they'll want to fill that first.

No rules around how large it can be. Just staffing is required.

Fencing is not required, delineation is.

I am not loving the height of it as the WHOLE point is to 'open up' into the plaza... but my guess is that they want to keep patrons in and 'shelter' them from unwanted external forces from Mother Nature and sadly of the human kind.

That height should never have been permitted in this situation.

Alas.

Hard to tell how large it is. It's a large bar so they'll want to fill that first.

No rules around how large it can be. Just staffing is required.
No rules? Is there not a permit that sets the capacity of the bar, restaurant and patio? I would have thought on opening day they would have to have a permit that reflects occupancy.

The owner would have a calculation from their usable space as to capacity numbers (FD and bylaw) for their application/permitting and AGLC would likely have a look as well before any licensing is granted.
  1. Bars and Neighbourhood Pubs, not to exceed 200 occupants and 240m2 of Public Space

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 2.56.45 PM.png

Last edited:

Back