Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

EdmTrekker

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just how big an area or how many seats can it host in this fenced in patio? Is the fence a regulatory requirement?

Greenspace

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hard to tell how large it is. It's a large bar so they'll want to fill that first.

No rules around how large it can be. Just staffing is required.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Fencing is not required, delineation is.

I am not loving the height of it as the WHOLE point is to 'open up' into the plaza... but my guess is that they want to keep patrons in and 'shelter' them from unwanted external forces from Mother Nature and sadly of the human kind.

That height should never have been permitted in this situation.

Alas.

EdmTrekker

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hard to tell how large it is. It's a large bar so they'll want to fill that first.

No rules around how large it can be. Just staffing is required.
No rules? Is there not a permit that sets the capacity of the bar, restaurant and patio? I would have thought on opening day they would have to have a permit that reflects occupancy.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
The owner would have a calculation from their usable space as to capacity numbers (FD and bylaw) for their application/permitting and AGLC would likely have a look as well before any licensing is granted.
  1. Bars and Neighbourhood Pubs, not to exceed 200 occupants and 240m2 of Public Space

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 2.56.45 PM.png

Last edited:

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Defeating the purpose of this place, its intent, its AED zoning goals etc. etc. etc. This ain't the parking lot at SEC.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score

CplKlinger

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
It's too bad, but I'm not completely surprised, given that their photos of the stocked shelves still revealed a fair bit of wires hanging from the ceiling, and other incomplete work. Hopefully this is the only delay they face, and it opens soon!
Screenshot_20221007-172734_Chrome.jpg

cmd uw

Member Bio
Reaction score
Defeating the purpose of this place, its intent, its AED zoning goals etc. etc. etc. This ain't the parking lot at SEC.
Nope. Maybe if the glass was opaque or 'non-transparent' but I'm not going to disagree that the height of the patio enclosure 'defeats' the purpose of the place, etc, etc. Your beloved Rocky Mountain Ice House uses the same type of enclosure and it fronts onto Jasper Ave.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
They put that in place for COVID and major issues of disturbance on Jasper Avenue and here's hoping it is coming down for it SUCKS.

You know better than that to defend fencing in and putting SEC style fencing around a space that is meant to open up onto an urban plaza, come on now.

Seriously dude.