News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

Edmonton Metropolitan Region Tech-Financing Update: 2021​

Last year around this time I wrote my first DYK blog about the Edmonton region. In it, I shared the research I had been doing into the funding raises that were taking place in the tech sector – and this year I’m back with an update.

In 2020, I was able to track data on deals that amounted to a total of $168 million raised. Since then, I’ve continued to track the raises happening in our region and updated data shows 2020 numbers are even higher than what I reported on last year.

I am happy to report that it looks like the momentum has continued in 2021, with a reported $179 million raised by companies headquartered in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.

Similar to what we saw with the 2020 data, I expect over time new information from other years, including 2021, will become publicly available and I will continue to update the numbers with the best information I have available¹.

Figure 1.
Blog-figure-1-1024x634.png

Source: Edmonton Global based on various​

When we look at number of deals in the region, including mergers and acquisitions, the total number of deals identified in 2021 was a record 150.

Read more at:

Hmmmmm. It will be very interesting to see the details later this morning in regards to this tweet:
Edmonton Global/HCL Technologies

Great news on this. And no, these are not "call center jobs disguised as fake engineering tech jobs" before anyone on this forum chooses to falsely claim.

Now this announcement needs to be more widely marketed just as similar announcements in Calgary and Vancouver are to get some much needed attention.

Does anyone know if this will eat up some office space downtown? I am hoping they did not pick an office out in the burbs.

Great news on this. And no, these are not "call center jobs disguised as fake engineering tech jobs" before anyone on this forum chooses to falsely claim.

Now this announcement needs to be more widely marketed just as similar announcements in Calgary and Vancouver are to get some much needed attention.

Does anyone know if this will eat up some office space downtown? I am hoping they did not pick an office out in the burbs.

In searching the company it shows they are located on Southside. Great announcement for Edmonton, locating downtown would have been cherry on the cake.

Screenshot_20220127-125309_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20220127-125034_Samsung Internet.jpg

No lrt service to their Edmonton location and not many options to live and walk to work around there but the 106 St bike lane will be an option for active transportation.

I would think having as many options along with driving to work would be a good motivator for innovative companies in selecting their sites.

Last edited:
City of Edmonton twitter already has a huge welcome for HCL along with Mayor Sohi and Minister Schweitzer in the presser so I imagine news articles will follow.

I don't think the Edmonton media does quite the same job as in some other cities in covering success stories in the city.

So far the only story I see on this is from Global News Edmonton - but the story actually gives more air time to Calgary tech company Mob Squad (the segment begins and ends with them) with the final words of the story "...Calgary is the place to live."

Listen to global reporter Tom Vernon when he says HCL Industries is setting up shop in 'Edmonton'. He seriously says Edmonton like he is somewhat surprised, haha. But it could be my overly sensitive ears, too.

Back