News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

The more I see these announcements in Calgary the more frustrated I grow with Edmonton. Every month there is some sort of announcement of a company setting up a presence there bringing 500 hundred jobs this time, 1,000 jobs that time. Is there anyone, anyone at all in Edmonton that can change the course of direction? While this is a subject of passion (frustration) of mine, we all talk on this forum about how because Calgary (insert reason here), Company A wont choose Edmonton. Austin is a perfect example. Despite being a government and blue collar town with lesser air connections and less corporates connections, investment banks, etc. Austin does just fine in competing against Houston and Dallas, and now San Francisco (on the tech front). Kitchener-Waterloo, despite being small and close to Montreal, Toronto and even Ottawa (who manages to pull its own weight in the tech world), manages to do very well in tech. I simply do not buy because of Calgary, Edmonton doesn't have as much of an advantage. BUT I do strongly believe that the city, the leaders in this city (city council) are not coordinated enough, not aggressive enough, not strategic enough and not visionary enough to compete and change the course of economics that has seemed to drag this city for decades. These exact announcements WILL CONTINUE to happen in Calgary and not Edmonton until something drastically changes and there is nothing that gives me confidence that will occur any time soon.

Additionally, we all know it, but I do not think it could be any any more obvious at all that the Provincial Government is doing whatever it can to drag Calgary from the depths of unemployment and COVID and low oil and gas prices. Every announcement that has occurred recently from a corporate perspective has involved the Provincial Government in some form or another. This is also a major contributor to this city's continual tire spinning and is as far away from changing as ever.

Last edited:
The more I see these announcements in Calgary the more frustrated I grow with Edmonton. ...

Additionally, we all know it, but I do not think it could be any any more obvious at all that the Provincial Government is doing whatever it can to drag Calgary from the depths of unemployment and COVID and low oil and gas prices. Every announcement that has occurred recently from a corporate perspective has involved the Provincial Government in some form or another. This is also a major contributor to this city's continual tire spinning and is as far away from changing as ever.
It is good that you recognize that the provincial Government is going out of its way to talk up anything going on in Calgary (and it is doing that for a reason), but don't mistake that to mean there is nothing going on here. Sure, on a dollar basis Calgary is ahead in the tech space, but Edmonton has some significant drivers including the U of A.

After having lived in both cities one of the most off putting things about Edmonton is how much hand-wringing and self-doubt there is here. The way people talk about the U of C in Calgary you'd be forgiven for thinking it was Harvard north, when in reality it's a mediocre, medium-sized regional post-secondary. Maybe Edmontonians could learn something and start talking up all the great things going on here.

always nice to see what some of your namesake firms are contemplating... wish it was that easy to raise that kind of capital here. :)
9C3DAB47-7B4C-4A8F-A0E7-CD8D9341DE4A.jpeg

Last edited:
It is good that you recognize that the provincial Government is going out of its way to talk up anything going on in Calgary (and it is doing that for a reason), but don't mistake that to mean there is nothing going on here. Sure, on a dollar basis Calgary is ahead in the tech space, but Edmonton has some significant drivers including the U of A.

After having lived in both cities one of the most off putting things about Edmonton is how much hand-wringing and self-doubt there is here. The way people talk about the U of C in Calgary you'd be forgiven for thinking it was Harvard north, when in reality it's a mediocre, medium-sized regional post-secondary. Maybe Edmontonians could learn something and start talking up all the great things going on here.

I dont disagree with you at all. In fact, I would go one step further and say not only do things need to be talked up in Edmonton, people, leaders, etc. need to start walking the walk too. I do believe, as per my previous post, there needs to be a large attitude change if we want to see anything other than the status quo.

Funny you mention U of C, I dont know if this is just me, but I tend to notice quite often when I pick up a news article or see a report on tv with some relevance to Alberta and an expert is consulted, it is often professors/experts from the U of C or Mount Royal and to a much less frequency the U of A. I dont have any actual stats on that but it is something that's caught my eye.

I dont disagree with you at all. In fact, I would go one step further and say not only do things need to be talked up in Edmonton, people, leaders, etc. need to start walking the walk too. I do believe, as per my previous post, there needs to be a large attitude change if we want to see anything other than the status quo.

Funny you mention U of C, I dont know if this is just me, but I tend to notice quite often when I pick up a news article or see a report on tv with some relevance to Alberta and an expert is consulted, it is often professors/experts from the U of C or Mount Royal and to a much less frequency the U of A. I dont have any actual stats on that but it is something that's caught my eye.
From someone who's in the academia and plans to stay on it: the vast majority of the experts we usually get to see in the media are from Finance/Business/Economics, a subject-area (maybe the only one) in which the U of C is far ahead of the U of A (which excels in STEM and Biomedical, above all).
I am considering my PhD in Calgary for this very reason, as much as it pains me, the Econ department at the U of A is not on par with U of C and other universities far less prominent than the U of A (especially in Ontario).

Great explanation that makes sense, thanks. Had not thought of it that way before.
It's not something most people notice unless they're within the academia.
It is not that the department here is bad or has subpar faculty, but their research and work are fairly concentrated in the fields of Labour Economics, Economics of Education, etc... Which are very important policy-wise, but not as "sexy" as macroeconomics and finance that usually makes the news (and attracts the big bucks and so on...).

From someone who's in the academia and plans to stay on it: the vast majority of the experts we usually get to see in the media are from Finance/Business/Economics, a subject-area (maybe the only one) in which the U of C is far ahead of the U of A (which excels in STEM and Biomedical, above all).
I am considering my PhD in Calgary for this very reason, as much as it pains me, the Econ department at the U of A is not on par with U of C and other universities far less prominent than the U of A (especially in Ontario).
As a BA Econ 01', I would agree.

Our Economics Dept. always did ok, but was never provided the limelight or resources needed.

As a BA Econ 01', I would agree.

Our Economics Dept. always did ok, but was never provided the limelight or resources needed.
I'm currently doing my MA Econ at the University of Missouri, which manages to project itself higher than the U of A's Econ department, albeit being a mostly inferior university as a whole, by any measure you look at.
It is a shame, because being a government city and an industrial hub, there's a lot of potential here for a top-notch industrial economic program. (End of boring academic talk)

Econ was always the jeans and cheap beer crew versus the south atrium tie/endowment crowd and or west campus Eng $.

Alas.

i would also wonder whether it simply has something to do with where the various bureaus have the most staff... if you live in calgary that’s where most of your sources and contacts are going to be.

i would also wonder whether it simply has something to do with where the various bureaus have the most staff... if you live in calgary that’s where most of your sources and contacts are going to be.
The general reason for this disparity between departments within the university is political (both internal and external to the university).
The point you raised plays a part on this whole political game, but say, if the Board of Governors at the U of A decides to make a push for business and Economics, attract maybe one or two star professors, funnel money to attract better students, etc, it will take a few years (about a decade or so) for the department to move one or two tiers.
The Department of Economics at the U of C did this. They have two starts that were brought from Harvard and MIT about 15 years ago (they're co-authors of the most used introductory Economics book on Earth), they also have increased their average graduate funding to the same level of the UBC and McGill universities. This helped them climb to the same tier as Western Ontario and Queen's (which form the second tier of Economics Graduate programs in Canada).

Interesting new tool from Harvard's Growth Lab called Metroverse. It provides some useful information, global comparators, and (most importantly) opportunity areas for Edmonton sector development.

https://metroverse.cid.harvard.edu/city/403/economic-composition

The data here pretty clearly speaks to a huge need/opportunity to grow non-energy sector manufacturing (among other areas). This is hardly a new conclusion and has been promoted in previous studies, but it's interesting to see these conclusions coming from more of a global perspective.

There are definitely some tech areas in here that score well for us, but I think we may see our tech growth concentrate in slightly less traditional areas (component manufacturing is pretty much always an opportunity no matter which comparators are used).

City offers new grant up to $25,000 to support Edmonton businesses​

June 7, 2021

Starting today, Edmonton’s business community can apply for matching funds of $10,000 to $25,000 from the Edmonton Economic Action Plan Grant.

This $2.08 million grant program is one of a number of tools under the City of Edmonton’s Economic Recovery Program that supports economic diversification and growth, and recovery efforts of Edmonton businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The grant supports the expansion of a range of products or services to reach new markets and long term resiliency to increase local businesses’ ability to adapt to changing economic conditions.

There are a range of eligible projects supported by the grant—from initiatives that reduce barriers to employment, to new business opportunities for marginalized communities, to supporting the opening of new child care facilities. Matching funds of up to $25,000 are available and could support a minimum of 83 projects. The grant will be available through 2022, or until funding is fully utilized.

Full details about eligibility and required documents are now available atedmonton.ca/businessgrants. Online applications for the grant will be accepted beginning June 7.

Note: If applicants have any questions, or require any specific accommodations in order to apply, they may contact businessinfo@edmonton.ca or 311 for assistance.​

Back