News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

I bought preconstruction in one of the Fox towers and at no point since I have purchased the property has the assessed value been anywhere close to the market value. I called the city recently to inquire about this as I refinance the condo and they explicitly told me what I already knew, the assessment value does not reflect the market value as they consider different factors (and don't consider others) that would be representative of a true market value. I would call back and talk to someone else.

Assessed is generally 15-20% lower than market pricing.

This has been a significant challenge for Edmonton and region for a long time - having the city and surrounding areas working collaboratively for common good. The establishment of Edmonton Global is a major boost for future prosperity in the area.

Here's one of the interesting components of the new Edmonton region framework:

"This means that municipal partners may invest in projects outside their boundaries and receive a direct return through a share of the property tax generated. That is a big shift compared to 13 communities going it alone."

E1SXdNFX0AEDk0l

E1SXdNFWUAMtsox

E1SXdNwX0AkqLHI

^^^^ Again, we shouldn't be exporting raw product, we should be enticing companies to come to Alberta to build finish products (i.e. don't export Lithium, export Lithium-Ion batteries -- and other iterations; don't export hydrogen, export finished products rooted in hydrogen energy -- actually in terms of computer production there is a cross-platform possibility between Lithium and Hydrogen -- a little automation and we can steal one of China's mainstays).

Major tech announcement for 'Alberta' tomorrow.
We seem to be falling further back in this sector. Who is advocating for Edmonton or is there just not as much homegrown entrepreneurs creating start ups and momentum?

CALGARY, AB, June 1, 2021 /CNW/ - Media are invited to join Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi, Invest Alberta CEO David Knight Legg, University of Calgary President Ed McCauley and others at a virtual news conference for a major announcement about Calgary's tech and innovation ecosystem.

This announcement further positions Calgary and Alberta as a leading centre for tech and innovation in North America.

When: Wednesday, June 2, 2021
12 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.

There are many advocating for Edmonton, but Calgary continues to be nearly an order of magnitude ahead.

If you were running a fast scaling tech startup, what would be the reasons to choose Edmonton over Calgary, really?

Calgary has:
Far more premo office space available
Deeper talent pool
Airport offering way more international flights
Banff, Canmore, K country, all an hour drive away
Good affordability (perhaps just higher than YEG)

Probably my only worry would be oil and gas booming and getting squeezed out.

If you were running a fast scaling tech startup, what would be the reasons to choose Edmonton over Calgary, really?

Calgary has:
Far more premo office space available
Deeper talent pool
Airport offering way more international flights
Banff, Canmore, K country, all an hour drive away
Good affordability (perhaps just higher than YEG)

Probably my only worry would be oil and gas booming and getting squeezed out.
I agree in all but one of these accounts: talent pool.

also, out of these, how many can be worked on, actively? I would say that except for the proximity with the mountains, the rest is a matter of right investments and leadership (not only on a political level).

I agree in all but one of these accounts: talent pool.
I was just guessing off the top of my head but does Edmonton really have a deeper/equal talent pool to Calgary? I understand the U of A helps immensely, but the scale of educated white collar folks in Calgary is substantially higher, while Edmonton has much more blue collar skill. But I have zero stats to back any of this up.

I was just guessing off the top of my head but does Edmonton really have a deeper/equal talent pool to Calgary? I understand the U of A helps immensely, but the scale of educated white collar folks in Calgary is substantially higher, while Edmonton has much more blue collar skill. But I have zero stats to back any of this up.

The U of A is massively bigger (by a third), better (on any ranking and specifically, on most subject areas, exception being Finance and Economics) and more innovative than the U of Calgary. Also, NAIT is larger and better renowned in STEM than SAIT. In general, Edmonton is academically more relevant than Calgary, has more students and produces more highly skilled professionals. What we need is a way to keep them here. That is point A.
Point B: there's a slight misconception about what white collar vs blue collar means. The blue collar profile of Edmonton's pool includes an insanely high number of highly skilled engineers, versus a number of highly skilled business and accounting professionals in Calgary, for example.
In a technology and energy transition setting, I'd rather have legions of well trained engineers and field technicians than a host of accountants. The former are important, but on a second moment and in a lesser degree.

The U of A is massively bigger (by a third), better (on any ranking and specifically, on most subject areas, exception being Finance and Economics) and more innovative than the U of Calgary. Also, NAIT is larger and better renowned in STEM than SAIT. In general, Edmonton is academically more relevant than Calgary, has more students and produces more highly skilled professionals. What we need is a way to keep them here. That is point A.
Point B: there's a slight misconception about what white collar vs blue collar means. The blue collar profile of Edmonton's pool includes an insanely high number of highly skilled engineers, versus a number of highly skilled business and accounting professionals in Calgary, for example.
In a technology and energy transition setting, I'd rather have legions of well trained engineers and field technicians than a host of accountants. The former are important, but on a second moment and in a lesser degree.
Not sure I'd agree with point B. In my experiences, there are a TON of engineers in Calgary. Vast majority of the paper pushing engineering happens down there, including all the massive oil sands expansions/upgrades/etcs, all engineered and planned out of Calgary. Field stuff, for sure Edmonton area has more of that talent.

Also, bear in mind the substantial amount of tech that was developed/supported/etc in Calgary for all those energy giants. Not just for their internal company use, but for field usage as well--i.e. drilling companies and the giant software side of all the tracking, monitoring, etc of wells. Not much of that happens in Edmonton.

Sorry not to sound like a Calgary fan boy. I love Edmonton!

Back