News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

Climate and isolation is very much huge contributing factors to deciding to move to Edmonton - or at least for those with the luxury of choosing between multiple places.

But with that said, a city that embraces and struts through the cold weather is one that piques interest for those considering relocation to a "colder" city - which is how many Canadians perceive Edmonton. Affordability, safety, and jobs are all gravy to seal the deal.

Winter patios, huge ice skating areas, nature walks, outdoor patios, winter festivals, outdoors spas (hopefully one day) and even great public transportation (such as a gondola and heated train stations) all make an attractive lifestyle choice for those who don't mind winter.

It also helps when Edmonton gets ranked by magazines like MacLeans as affordable and livable. That helps sell as well.

I'm actually moving away from Edmonton in a few months, but I'm sad to be leaving when I feel Edmonton is closing in on a "renaissance" of sorts when it comes to energy transition, livability (already well on track), and size. I will be watching with close interest and recommending the city to those interested in moving to Alberta (and I say that as a born-and-raised Calgarian too).
Agreed, There is no point pretending that we are something (or somewhere) that we are not. And I hope you are right about Edmonton's renaissance. Often we are our own worst enemy, so it is great hear a positive perspective.

Amazing cities don't just happen, they are intentional expressions of what people want. And if Edmonton wants to be a great winter city, nothing is stopping it from becoming a great winter city.

Canada's first hydrogen hub launched today with $2M grant - and it's just the tip of the iceberg.

At the Edmonton-region hub, planning is under way for more than 25 potential projects related to the supply, delivery and use of the fuel, including hydrogen-powered municipal and commercial vehicle fleets, and home and industrial heat and power.

And there is now a fancy website up to boot: https://erh2.ca/

I had no idea we had a company like this headquartered here in Edmonton. It's also fairly large with 3000 staff across different regions. Hope their HQ stays here.

MUCH work to do...

---

Key 2021 Technology Deal Flow Study findings
Tech sector size and cities – There are currently 3,083 tech companies in Alberta (compared to 1,238 companies identified in the 2018 study). Most companies operate in our two largest cities – 1,776 in Calgary and 918 in Edmonton.

Investment sources – Alberta tech firms raised capital predominantly from local sources in Alberta, with 53 per cent of survey respondents identifying Calgary as a funding source and 32 per cent identifying Edmonton as a funding source.

MUCH work to do...

---

Key 2021 Technology Deal Flow Study findings
Tech sector size and cities – There are currently 3,083 tech companies in Alberta (compared to 1,238 companies identified in the 2018 study). Most companies operate in our two largest cities – 1,776 in Calgary and 918 in Edmonton.

Investment sources – Alberta tech firms raised capital predominantly from local sources in Alberta, with 53 per cent of survey respondents identifying Calgary as a funding source and 32 per cent identifying Edmonton as a funding source.

A lot of work to do and I am increasingly afraid that Edmonton is missing the boat on the opportunity to become the tech center in the province, if that ship has not already sailed. I had a conversation with the President of the School of Public Policy at U of C, a former Edmontonian who is well versed in Edmonton's public policy, Edmonton's corporate development and history. He used the best comparable example of Austin, TX. Austin was and still is a government and blue collar city similar to Edmonton, but instead of trying to compete with Dallas and Houston, Austin carved out its own niche as the tech center of the state and has been quite successful. Given Edmonton by and far has the largest and best human capital generator in the province at the U of A, Edmonton has the opportunity to become the go-to tech center in Alberta, and that is increasingly slipping away.

Council approves the Edmonton Economic Action Plan to support a stronger, more diversified economy​

April 23, 2021

City Council unanimously approved The Edmonton Economic Action Plan (EAP) which outlines the City’s plan to collaborate with it’s partners, prioritize equity and partnership, and focus on actions to grow and diversify the economy.

“The EAP is a roadmap for building a resilient economy and outlines opportunities to grow and diversify the economy,” said Stephanie McCabe, Deputy City Manager, Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development. “The City will do this by creating opportunities that embrace and grow relationships with our partners and support businesses to thrive in emerging industries in the energy and innovation sectors.”

The EAP brings together past and current economic development work and ensures a balance of the current challenges with future opportunities; it is designed to leverage current resources as best as possible so there is no budget ask associated with it.

“There is a need to consider economic development in a range of City initiatives that promote job growth. The goal is to create the conditions for this job growth, and, specifically, to support 121,000 net new jobs in 10 years,” added Stephanie McCabe.

In planning for a city of two million people, the EAP aims to meet this goal through five key principles:
  1. We will support new and established businesses and entrepreneurs to thrive in a new economy.
  2. We will maximize the potential of our existing land, assets and physical attributes.
  3. We will support growth and diversification of our economy in a sustainable and equitable way.
  4. We will remain and become a destination of choice for talent and capital.
  5. We will embrace and grow our relationships and partnerships.

The City wants to thank the many business and community partners who provided input and support for this work. This is an important plan and will be the cornerstone of a strategic approach to economic growth where people with great ideas and skills stay and succeed, and our economy is responsive to climate change.​

I think the survey they published is probably purposely YYC friendly, but the city also has a little bit more to do. Time to get off your butt and solve a tech problem for people! Turn it into a software and scale it up. Startup Edmonton has a great program if anyone is interested in doing that. Or just go for it.

To chime in as someone who lived in Toronto a few years with many young friends and immigrant friends. Its not so much that edmonton is so cold and unbearable in the winter, its that its just long...

In ontario, you close up your cottage around Thanksgiving. All of September is still summer.

In edmonton, we might get a hot week, but most of september is pants weather and far from beach weather. The humidity there holds better. Our evenings in late August, early Sept drop to under 15. It holds above 20 there.

So our 3-4.5 month summers, vs the 5-6 months of summer in Van and Toronto are the bigger difference i believe. All my friends spent last week on the beaches in Vancouver. Meanwhile we are dead brown here, no leaves yet, and most mornings under 0. We have hot days over 14...but Vancouver is full on into what our late May feels like.

For friends who had families come from. The Caribbean Islands, edmonton seems rough. And Toronto gets cold occasionally, but really only has 5-10 snows a winter and very few days under -10. It hovers around 0 mostly. Edmonton being consistently under -8 with usually a good week or 2 under -30 every year scares people off. Its a big difference when you've grown up used to the tropics.

Now I personally like the winter and find our long summer days such a beautiful trade off. But you really have to live here to experience it. First impressions and public perception dont help us. No matter how fun we make our winters, most people want coastal and warm, not prairies and cold haha. Maybe climate change will "turn the tides" (rip) in edmontons favour in the next 50 years. But for now, we are what we are!

Jobs and opportunity drive young people to cities. Fort Mac and NY are both products of that haha. Great city design helps attract the jobs I believe though.

Climate is a non issue. People respond to narratives and if you keep talking about climate that is all that people will be able to focus on. Edmonton has for over 100 years been a major centre of business and is at the centre of Alberta's geography. The trading post, the place where new concepts are tried. Its in the city's bones, when you go way back. As I have said, YEG is the tech centre of the future, it has all the supporting institutions, this is a helpful and powerful narrative that people can understand.

Climate and lifestyle is becoming an increasingly important consideration for folks. I've seen more of my friends move to Van/Vic/Kelowna and or southern Ontario in the last couple of years than the last decade or two. Part of that is opportunity, but a significant part of their decision was weather and outdoor opportunities be it patio weather, gardening or biking year round.

To chime in as someone who lived in Toronto a few years with many young friends and immigrant friends. Its not so much that edmonton is so cold and unbearable in the winter, its that its just long...

In ontario, you close up your cottage around Thanksgiving. All of September is still summer.

In edmonton, we might get a hot week, but most of september is pants weather and far from beach weather. The humidity there holds better. Our evenings in late August, early Sept drop to under 15. It holds above 20 there.

So our 3-4.5 month summers, vs the 5-6 months of summer in Van and Toronto are the bigger difference i believe. All my friends spent last week on the beaches in Vancouver. Meanwhile we are dead brown here, no leaves yet, and most mornings under 0. We have hot days over 14...but Vancouver is full on into what our late May feels like.

For friends who had families come from. The Caribbean Islands, edmonton seems rough. And Toronto gets cold occasionally, but really only has 5-10 snows a winter and very few days under -10. It hovers around 0 mostly. Edmonton being consistently under -8 with usually a good week or 2 under -30 every year scares people off. Its a big difference when you've grown up used to the tropics.

Now I personally like the winter and find our long summer days such a beautiful trade off. But you really have to live here to experience it. First impressions and public perception dont help us. No matter how fun we make our winters, most people want coastal and warm, not prairies and cold haha. Maybe climate change will "turn the tides" (rip) in edmontons favour in the next 50 years. But for now, we are what we are!

Jobs and opportunity drive young people to cities. Fort Mac and NY are both products of that haha. Great city design helps attract the jobs I believe though.
I lived in KW for nearly 6 years and I agree with your take on the longer summers there (and also longer falls as a result). WInter in general there isn't bad and lasts maybe beginning of December - mid-March with no lasting snow throughout (even a bit of rain!).

It is milder in Southern Ontario for sure, but it is also more cloudy, which I don't like. I love how often we get sunny days in Edmonton (outside of the last few days!)..

Climate and lifestyle may be a factor but I would classify those as two factors in a wide range of categories. I chose to live in Toronto not because of climate but because of a job opportunity but for some people Im sure they can find the same job in better climate places. Lots of factors. When it comes to companies looking to move, relocate, invest etc. again yes I believe climate and lifestyle are factors but two of a number of factors that primarily consist of financial and institutional reasons (such as access to human capital - the U of A being the standout educational institution in the province). There is an interesting book called "Why Nations Fail" that explores why some countries have failed despite having ample resources while others have succeeded. The book starts out to prove a point by comparing the cities of Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Mexico. Despite having the exact same geographic location/climate, Nogales, Arizona has been much more successful because of the political, financial, educational institutions accessible to the city by being in the U.S.

Iceland, City of Reykjavik and Icelandair have made an entire tourist economy out of airline connections and outdoor/ cold weather activities. By and large Edmonton has almost the same climate as Calgary and Reykjavik. My point here is that while climate/geography and lifestyle are important, Edmonton needs to promote what it has much much better, including climate/geography. Edmonton is close to the mountains too, not as close, but that doesnt mean it isnt close, contrary to popular belief and thats a big point organizations or the City do not promote nearly enough (Edmonton has Via Rail to Jasper, how cool is that and how many people know that?). Where Edmonton lacks big time, similar to the book I referenced is poor political institution. Edmonton needs to way better step up its game to compete/promote what it does have and its value add. Not everyone wants to live in big Torontos or expensive Vancouvers.

Last edited:

Back