News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

Interesting battle going on:

The title “engineer” is restricted across Canada by various regulatory bodies. In Alberta, the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act sets out who can call themselves an engineer, and it establishes the legal power of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA to license, permit, and otherwise regulate the profession.

The CCI released an open letter to Smith on Oct. 14 charging that APEGA has “taken the aggressive position that software engineers must be regulated, and subject to onerous, restrictive, and unnecessary certification requirements.”

Among the 60+ signatories to the letter is Sam Pillar, CEO of Jobber, whose company is facing legal action by APEGA for use of the term “software engineer” without belonging to the association.

“This regulatory red tape threatens to have a profound impact on the future of our company and ability to compete in a hyper-competitive talent market,” Pillar told Taproot. “High-skilled workers are used to seeing the title ‘software engineer,’ because it is the long-established global standard title used by some of the largest and most desirable employers in the tech industry to describe the work of building software. If we are prevented from using these kinds of job titles, we cannot compete on a level playing field for talent.”

-Taproot

A pretty significant announcement for Edmonton.

---

Qualico to develop Edmonton warehouse for Leon's/The Brick​

Joint venture to construct 500,000-sq.-ft. facility in Alberta capital​

Great news. I am assuming this will replace their existing warehouse on 170 street.
Probably not going to happen but I would love to see the Brick move out of its current 107 Ave/101 St store (the original) and into a new flagship location a few blocks south. Maybe as an anchor tenant in a revamped CCM west redevelopment - they could take up a good chunk of the old Bay store. And while they are at it, they could move their office staff out of the 170 St warehouse and into some sexy new space downtown. Like I said, not likely to happen but one can dream!!!

Great news. I am assuming this will replace their existing warehouse on 170 street.
Probably not going to happen but I would love to see the Brick move out of its current 107 Ave/101 St store (the original) and into a new flagship location a few blocks south. Maybe as an anchor tenant in a revamped CCM west redevelopment - they could take up a good chunk of the old Bay store. And while they are at it, they could move their office staff out of the 170 St warehouse and into some sexy new space downtown. Like I said, not likely to happen but one can dream!!!
Wonder if with Boyle Street moving across the street they might take a hard look at that?

Also, random fact: in the 90s that location was open 24/7 for a period of time.

Missed this in August. New Edmonton-based Venture capital fund launched.

Looks like they already have 5 investments.

Edmonton Startup Week October 17 - 22

Did anyone attend this event last week?

I was at the packed anti-launch party at Red Star Thursday night.

Heard good things overall, more momentum, more investment, more of a spotlight for more local accomplishments, but will admit that I do not know this world all that well.

It is not....my guess would be an Indianapolis, Columbus or a Richmond.......100% not YYC>

3A387337-B388-4BCD-897D-BF94F0A3AB10.jpeg

Here is a newer picture looking north showing the HSCB building and the one with pyramid roo

I wonder why the company, based in Sherwood Park would show its team, if it is their team, against the London backdrop.

Back