News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

If they can land a big American brand i bet that would drive traffic. Like the effect chick-fil-a had to Yorkville mall in Toronto. Lineups for months. People drove hours.

Them or another beloved "first in canada/western canada" could be a strong draw.

I don't expect Holt Renfrew to come back with the Manulife store closing down recently. I think one thing to watch out for could be the impact of the Valley Line LRT on City Centre Mall. Will it bring more people in, or will it be a 9-5 commuter line?

Wow you really took that out of context. Chick-fil-a was just an example. His main point is that they could land a chain that hasn’t been here before to drive some foot traffic into the mall.

I did "get" he was talking about a business that would attract customers ...But it will take more than a chicken sandwich to turn City Centre around.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they can land a big American brand i bet that would drive traffic. Like the effect chick-fil-a had to Yorkville mall in Toronto. Lineups for months. People drove hours.

Them or another beloved "first in canada/western canada" could be a strong draw.

This reminds me of the time when so-called "real estate expert" Chuck Clubine was a guest on CTV Morning Live and claimed that Macy's and Nordstrom were going to open in the Ice District vicinity. I still laugh at him to this day! 🤣

Yes, it would, but sadly when brands like that look here they usually seem to only see a certain mall in the west end.

I think unfortunately City Centre has a big hill to climb. It took years of bad circumstances and mediocre management for them to sink to where they are. It will take a lot of work to recover. I think at this point something like H&M or Zara would help a lot. Really, anything popular would help.

Didn't mean to polarize or offend with the Chick-fil-A example. I just figured it'd be an example everyone would know due to the high profile opening of their Toronto locations. Yes they brought controversy. But they also drove crazy foot traffic. There are few stores in the world with lineups around the block for over a year after opening.

So if we can land a tenant *like* that for the ice district, thats my point.

Your average restaraunt or store, even a good one, doesn't open to much hype. Which ones could though?

H&M was ' ' that close to moving forward with ECCW where the ATB and the old Urban. That might have changed a few things and some of its direction, but when their rep from MTL or Tor came out they said that Kingsway was 'close enough'.

I think something that might succeed could be a few restaurants. Something like Montana's, Earls, Milestones or Original Joes. These restaurants would definitely complement the Old Spaghetti Factory, Haweli, the Creperie and others on 103 Street, en route to the Ice District.

H&M was ' ' that close to moving forward with ECCW where the ATB and the old Urban. That might have changed a few things and some of its direction, but when their rep from MTL or Tor came out they said that Kingsway was 'close enough'.

I wish the eastern freaks didn't have the final say.

Back