News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

I would love to see a new plan or vision for city centre. Do we need that much mall space for retail, especially with all the additional retail bays empty throughout the ice district, 104 street etc?
I imagine city centre is even going to lose more tenants when banks like td open in the ice district.
Certainly I would want the movie theaters kept, but what else could happen in that building? Could the Bay space be an auditorium?Maybe the UofA could move their music program that they were proposing with Galleria to city centre instead. Or maybe spaces for artists and/or residences.
I read someone's comment that people watching is still the greatest show on earth and people like to watch other people doing interesting things. It would be nice to find a new vision to add some life and vibrancy here.

Last edited:
^^^^Agreed! @IanO you can take the falsetto and soprano parts and I'll handle the bass and tenor parts. Old-man joke: "Can you sing tenor?" "Why yes I can," answered the egotistical young man. "Then sing ten or twenty miles away". or, or, or how about this one "Can you sing the part solo?" "Why yes I can," the young man was a little more hesitant this time. "So low that I can't hear you!"

Oml 😂

Here's what I'm proposing: City-Centre Mall East? Turn that part fronting Churchill Square and the LRT Into an Art-Deco style station building for a future underground Edmonton Central HSR/Hyperloop/normal rail station. What better location could there be for something like that??

City Centre West? Take the whole thing down in phased chunks and rebuild as an extended "warehouse district" coming off of 104th st. Mixed-use blocks of abutting mid-rise buildings mostly fitting the theme of "old downtown Edmonton", with some high-rises and modern elements mixed in and just a tinch of European. Residences above retail and small parks facing narrow cobblestone streets designed for walking and cycling. Services like schools, affordable housing, etc. should be integrated into the project of course.

I'd be a bit leery of completely razing the mall, if only because there are tenants that serve the community, even if they aren't as flashy as getting an H&M or whatever, and ones that potentially would not move into whatever replaces it (if it is retail) due to the higher rents charged in new builds (which is why they often get populated by popular chains with deeper pockets). However, it isn't a vibrant mall, especially now with covid, and there are increasing empty bays (despite what we were promised by insiders which stated that there were "big things coming" after the food court relocation). I think condensing the mall into one side (it probably doesn't matter at the end of the day which -- just pick one) and razing the other for a new possibility would be nice. This new development could retrofit or redevelop the existing site into something more street-oriented (arguably the condensed side could also just be retrofitted to being more street-facing with minimal cost) with perhaps some sort of residential (maybe even spending some city money providing permanent, affordable housing for those marginalized by decades of the city prioritizing more affluent classes and aiding in gentrification of the core).

I agree that City Centre West needs something dramatic and not just a minor facelift. It struck home to me when I saw all the empty stores on the second level when I walked through it the other day. I realize much of this is due to COVID, so perhaps after things will rebound somewhat. I think the problem goes all the way back to when it was built and it was essentially designed as a suburban mall transplanted downtown. Perhaps that was the prevailing thinking in mid the 80's, but I don't think that fits with the current vision of most people for our downtown. It has very little access and interaction with the nearby street, which normally (ie. not during COVID or with the current construction) was a fairly busy area downtown. I think the older City Centre East is doing a bit better as it integrates with several office towers and it may not need as radical change.

Whatever is done - I would suggest opening City Centre West up to the street and a new facade that has historic elements and is not just blank concrete walls. I think we need to keep the retail that is there, allow for and encourage more. I believe the people who live in the area still do need and want nearby retail, although the current situation with COVID may obscure this.

Although car-accomodating development downtown is usually and rightfully frowned upon, I'd love to see something like Costco, Superstore or Walmart take up the old Hudsons bay space, and even arrange for free parking (with purchase) much like the Costco in downtown Vancouver. It would benefit those downtown, and those downtown-adjacent and drive at least some additional business in the mall. Bonus points for the Costco restaurant being in an easily-accessible location for the public.
I mean it's not like the space is tremendously useful for much else at the moment.

Although car-accomodating development downtown is usually and rightfully frowned upon, I'd love to see something like Costco, Superstore or Walmart take up the old Hudsons bay space, and even arrange for free parking (with purchase) much like the Costco in downtown Vancouver. It would benefit those downtown, and those downtown-adjacent and drive at least some additional business in the mall. Bonus points for the Costco restaurant being in an easily-accessible location for the public.
I mean it's not like the space is tremendously useful for much else at the moment.

Does the City Centre Bay Store even have the square footage of a Costco? (I genuinely don’t know)

If I have a vote (and I don't really), I would say a definite no to costco, walmart and superstore anywhere in the City -- but particularly not downtown. They are, one and all, mom-and-pop store killers and their current demise makes me smile in glee (the one good thing of the current retail stress).

Last edited:
If I have a vote (and I don't really), I would say a definite no to costco, walmart and superstore anywhere in the City -- but particularly not downtown. They are, one and all, mom-and-pop store killers and there current demise makes me smile in glee (the one good thing of the current retail stress).

Calgary just put a Superstore in the East Village, literally two blocks away from the tallest towers in the City.

Edmonton is also putting up a grocery market in the Ice District as we write this.

Mom and Pop shops are good, but let's be realistic - if you want people to live downtown you have to have large grocery stores that can serve as cost-competitive anchors for those residents. How many Mom and Pop grocers would even compete in Edmonton's core at the moment? Most people living downtown will still have plenty of selection for restaurants/coffee/retail that are apples and oranges compared to a big box anchor.

I'd wager to say that in the absence of a new grocer in the Ice District, a Superstore in the same spot as the current Bay location would be fairly successful.

Cool, here's my opinion: please... oh please no Costco or Walmart in downtown. the curse of the $1 Costco hot dog will be upon us if we're not careful...

Back