• I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Saturday afternoon,
Saurday EDFM, Churchill Park 2019-10-26 119.JPG

Saurday EDFM, Churchill Park 2019-10-26 194.JPG

Brighton looks so good and almost ready for occupancy. The Pendennis Rebirth is happening. Might the neighbors take notice and clean up the shrapnel and/or move on.
2019-11-17 160.JPG

The 'Sea Palace See Food' joint could be great if it could sea life... Or is it cool if the property lord' just vamos' the neighborhood and catch ya later?
2019-11-17 162.JPG

These 2 buildings look like they could be renovated and rented without much worry, with some effort. I can't remember when they last where a legitimate block, probably 40 years or more?. A big part of me detests this drawn out decay of a neighborhood propagated by...I don't know what to say
2019-11-17 211.JPG

^ Looking back on old Google streetview's, that Sea Palace building has had the same "For Sale Or Lease" since at least 2007. For context, the old Gem Theatre was still its neighbour then! One really has to wonder if it is for sale at all. Maybe the owner is just charging some obscene amount for it?

As for that white building, I'm really hoping it's getting the love it deserves. Its the 1950 Cowan Block, and while it may look like a pretty bog-standard Moderne building, its actually pretty important to the city's architectural story. It was designed by Edmonton's first, and one of Canada's very first, all women architectural firms, Wallbridge & Imrie, and it represents one of their very rare commercial commissions.

Maybe they'll get the same repurposed-in-place treatment as the other two, creating a trend along the block.

@_Citizen_Dane_ do you happen to know what structure used to exist between the Cowan Block and the Flat Iron Building? I'm with you on the deserved preservation of the Cowan Block. And, while on the subject of this area, does anyone know if there are preserved plans of the Gem Theatre?

@_Citizen_Dane_ do you happen to know what structure used to exist between the Cowan Block and the Flat Iron Building? I'm with you on the deserved preservation of the Cowan Block. And, while on the subject of this area, does anyone know if there are preserved plans of the Gem Theatre?
I do! it was the Emery Manufacturing Co. building, a pretty unostentatious Edwardian-era structure. Here it is in 1927, shortly after gaining a second floor;
nd-3-3683.jpg

As for the Gem, this website from the Edmonton Heritage Board has the original blueprints in pretty high quality, including the original, unfulfilled plan for the building which would have seen an extra two storey's built atop the theatre block. You may noice it bears a striking similarity to 124th Street's Buena Vista Apartments, which is fitting given they were designed by the same architectural firm, Magoon & MacDonald;

And for anyone interested, here's a pretty cool look at the area around the Brighton Block and Pendennis Hotel, courtesy of a 1914 fire insurance map;
e010674858-v8.jpg
Its worth noting that it seems as though the foundation for the neighbouring Cowan Block dates back to at least 1914. I suspect like many projects, including the Gem, it was never realized in its original form due to the pre-Great War real estate crash.

Thank-you @_Citizen_Dane_ -- I think it would be really cool to reconstruct this block with upper storey additions from the WW Arcade bldg. (as I knew it) to the Flat Iron Building along Jasper Ave. -- in fact I am considering making it my mission. Upper storeys ultra modern with lots of glass juxtaposed against historical reproductions at ground to second floor levels (maybe 4 storeys in the case of the Gem that was never realized).

Back