• I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was walking past this morning

1607728497180.png

1607728591257.png

These are the kinds of pet projects that enrich a minority at the expense of others.. Just saying. A nice project that shouldn't have seen that kind of cash...

Disagree entirely, and I would certainly not classify this as a pet project when the purpose of the initiative is to continue and maintain what's left of the culture and heritage of Edmonton's past for the benefit of current and future citizens. This is a great project both architecturally and for its significance to the city's history so thanks @kcantor for your great work on this. Who knows, this building could be the home a future small business restaurant you eat at or office your company works at, or it could be an Impark lot? The city wastes a lot of money, and these types of initiatives certainly are not one of those wastes in my opinion. If you prefer the city to only spend money on changing speed limit signs and pot hole repairs then all the power to you if prefer that type of utopia.

Last edited:
CORPORATE WELFARE IS NICE FOR THOSE WHO CAN GET IT... If you can't pony up your own cash, that makes me doubt the viability of the project....

^ ^^

the city designated the brighton block as a historic building in 2002. there was an obligation for the owner at that time - and subsequent owners - to maintain the building and there was an obligation for the city of edmonton to ensure that took place.

there was a catastrophic failure in meeting those obligations that flowed through a number of owners until this is what the building looked like when we purchased it 16 years later:

1610658878201.png
1610658933915.png
1610658955012.png
1610658988136.png
1610659006277.png

the consultants involved said that without immediate intervention the building would suffer the same fate as the gem theatre one block over. the grant from the city reimbursed for 33% of the "allowable costs" that were incurred (which in turn were only about 2/3 of the total costs involved in the restoration). there were no reimbursements for non-qualifying expensed related to the original building and none at all relating to the addition or to any of the upgrades from the original building (those were incurred entirely by the owner). if you follow the math, we were out of pocket about $3 million relating to the historic components only and were reimbursed about 25% of that. we could have built a new building from scratch and added underground parking for about 30% less than our investment in the brighton block.

you're free to disagree with the city's investment in heritage structures to your heart's content but it's completely inaccurate to classify that as a tax break or windfall for the owner.

Meanwhile the same people say, Paramount theatre? Who cares? Demo it... #NEXT

But that's "Just business" according to everyone who justifies it! #Sickening...

the city designated the brighton block as a historic building in 2002. there was an obligation for the owner at that time - and subsequent owners - to maintain the building and there was an obligation for the city of edmonton to ensure that took place.

there was a catastrophic failure in meeting those obligations that flowed through a number of owners until this is what the building looked like when we purchased it 16 years later:

View attachment 294036View attachment 294037View attachment 294038View attachment 294039View attachment 294040

the consultants involved said that without immediate intervention the building would suffer the same fate as the gem theatre one block over. the grant from the city reimbursed for 33% of the "allowable costs" that were incurred (which in turn were only about 2/3 of the total costs involved in the restoration). there were no reimbursements for non-qualifying expensed related to the original building and none at all relating to the addition or to any of the upgrades from the original building (those were incurred entirely by the owner). if you follow the math, we were out of pocket about $3 million relating to the historic components only and were reimbursed about 25% of that. we could have built a new building from scratch and added underground parking for about 30% less than our investment in the brighton block.
My goodness, that looks atrocious. Thank you for helping to preserve our history with this project; you're doing future generations of Edmontonions a great service.

Last edited:

Back