News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Branding and Tourism strategy

And over and above some of the great sports facilities and infrastructure here is the support for the many sporting events that are hosted here: the beach volleyball here last weekend, 3X3 basketball, all the World Triathlon events over the years, etc. We do a pretty decent job of snagging and supporting these types of events.

And over and above some of the great sports facilities and infrastructure here is the support for the many sporting events that are hosted here: the beach volleyball here last weekend, 3X3 basketball, all the World Triathlon events over the years, etc. We do a pretty decent job of snagging and supporting these types of events.

Would Cup Soccer qualifying games in Nov. 2021 were huge.

My spouse and I are travelling the hwy 3 corridor through BC the last 10 days and it’s been funny. She has been comparing all the Welcome to signs of every town to Edmontons concrete big signs. They have all been better and not by being bigger but being simple, colourful and way less expensive. (Remember the Dub Aurora idea a couple of years back?). She’s been laughing at me too as I point out out all the visitor information sites everywhere that are flush with people and Edmonton Tourism got rid of both Gateway and downtown a few years ago because “everything is digital”. We could do so much better by doing the simple things right.
Yeah on a scale of 1 to 10, tourism ranks around 0 for our city. It has generally been a low priority over the years and it shows. Everyone once and a while some effort is made or someone maybe new and enthusiastic not understanding the entrenched culture tries to change thing, but it eventually passes.

Or how about that's what little towns do - neat, little colorful "welcome to" signs. Big deal, ask YYC about their corrugated cardboard "welcome" signs. Come to think of it, don't ever remember seeing a "welcome to" sign going into LA, San Deigo, Phoenix, Miami, Orlando etc.

Or how about that's what little towns do - neat, little colorful "welcome to" signs. Big deal, ask YYC about their corrugated cardboard "welcome" signs. Come to think of it, don't ever remember seeing a "welcome to" sign going into LA, San Deigo, Phoenix, Miami, Orlando etc.
Little towns that want attract tourism. I suspect others that don't care, don't bother. I can tell you which ones I would prefer to stop in.

LA is a huge metropolitan area, so where it actually begins is rather ambiguous. I suppose in some cases, these places will attract visitors regardless and do not feel the need to make an extra effort.

Of course, there is the famous Welcome to Las Vegas sign. They know that tourism is important, they don't have the ocean or movie stars to attract people so they make the effort.

I think Edmonton attractions like WEM or to a certain extent, Fort Edmonton are attractions that don’t need a significant amount of advertising.

A cities attractions speak for themselves be they notable buildings or natural geography. Edmonton does well attracting regionally with places as noted above with WEM and Fort Edmonton. Edmonton also does well hosting from further afield with things like sporting events.

A cities attractions speak for themselves be they notable buildings or natural geography. Edmonton does well attracting regionally with places as noted above with WEM and Fort Edmonton. Edmonton also does well hosting from further afield with things like sporting events.
I know a couple from Jamaica who knew Edmonton because of the West Edmonton mall, the River Valley but mostly the Walterdale Bridge. They told themselves that as soon as they get here, they will go take pictures of themselves by the bridge. For them, that bridge represents Edmonton.

Another couple from Brasil, traveling Canada looking for a city to immigrate to, was very impressed with Edmonton. They too were looking forward to take pictures of and with the bridge, as well as WEM and the Muttart Conservatory.

Big win today friends. Had coffee with a friend from Calgary. First time here in 6 years. First thing they said: “when did Edmonton have a glow up?!”

They biked around tawatina/riverdale/whyte yesterday. Glad their experience changed their perspective 🙂

I also have a friend from Ottawa who used to live in Edmonton and left the city back in 2007. When he came back to Edmonton in 2018 he couldn't believe how much the city changed. He always loved the city, but he was very impressed on how many things changed and improved.
He's now planning a move back next year to Edmonton

Back