7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Edmonton Branding and Tourism strategy

Your competition has new branding.
View attachment 577545

Looks..... ok. Personally, I absolutely love the City of Edmonton's logo and branding and hope they never change it.

images

Looks..... ok. Personally, I absolutely love the City of Edmonton's logo and branding and hope they never change it.

images

Just needs 'City of Champions' underneath.
In consultation with a number of their policy committee's comprised of various people throughout the business community, the Chamber of Commerce back in January highlighted that a big gap (to probably no one's surprise) is Edmonton's branding or lack of branding, which is hurting its ability to attract investment and just its awareness in general.

Edmonton needs a brand. People's general knowledge of Edmonton outside of Edmonton is typically not great or specific to anything other than weather and Oilers.

The City of Champions slogan in my opinion is not the way to go, it was not just about the success of our sports teams in the 80s but was in reference to our response to the tornado in the 80s. We are a full 40+ years removed from those two specifics and I am a generation that was not around for either of those and I'd bet there are even less people out there across Canada that were around or are familiar with the specific event of that tornado.

We need a brand asap and throwing it back to the 80s is probably "the most Edmonton thing you can do"

Last edited:

images
Considering the amount of needless handwringing that debated whether the "E" should be curved or straight back way ago (not joking; this was for real), just leave it as-is please.

In consultation with a number of their policy committee's comprised of various people throughout the business community, the Chamber of Commerce back in January highlighted that a big gap (to probably no one's surprise) is Edmonton's branding or lack of branding, which is hurting its ability to attract investment and just its awareness in general.

Edmonton needs a brand. People's general knowledge of Edmonton outside of Edmonton is typically not great or specific to anything other than weather and Oilers.

The City of Champions slogan in my opinion is not the way to go, it was not just about the success of our sports teams in the 80s but was in reference to our response to the tornado in the 80s. We are a full 40+ years removed from those two specifics and I am a generation that was not around for either of those and I'd bet there are even less people out there across Canada that were around or are familiar with the specific event of that tornado.

We need a brand asap and throwing it back to the 80s is probably "the most Edmonton thing you can do"
Maybe if there are no obviously better ideas stick with what we have, although it does have an 80's look to it. If we wait a few more years that may be back in fashion.

I do think we need an updated slogan to go with it and not something about a tornado that happened over 35 years ago, but most people think and appears to be about something else. That is a marketing fail.

So excited for the Klondike Days parade and tens of thousands of people and families it brings to the core to celebrate the city and region's origin, history and to celebrate the place.

Oh wait.

How many parades cancelled in Edmonton over the last several years? I guess if you want to see a decent one now you have to go to Calgary.

Back