Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Agreed! The obsession with neutrals is horrible in our winter climate. The city is brown or white for 6 months of the year. It's appalling that our buildings, cars, and clothes are all bland icky neutrals that feel very Soviet. I bet if we had a culture that valued color it would be a boon for our mental health. The city could have taken a lead for change and Blatchford was a prime opportunity.
Then when a developer does add colour, so often they design it as if they're making a lego building and don't have enough of the same colour of bricks. See: Stadium Plaza, & East Junction.

God only knows why we can't just commit to a single colour and be proud of it. There's nothing wrong with making a big red firehall, or a bold yellow house!

The design lacks in both colour and interesting shapes. Look at some quick examples I pulled off Google.
1699460152328.png

1699460204969.png

Not even saying it needs to have housing above (but would make sense towards the goals of blatchford), but look at the more interesting brick and shapes.

1699460370402.png

Then when a developer does add colour, so often they design it as if they're making a lego building and don't have enough of the same colour of bricks. See: Stadium Plaza, & East Junction.

God only knows why we can't just commit to a single colour and be proud of it. There's nothing wrong with making a big red firehall, or a bold yellow house!
The design lacks in both colour and interesting shapes. Look at some quick examples I pulled off Google.
View attachment 518780

View attachment 518782

Not even saying it needs to have housing above (but would make sense towards the goals of blatchford), but look at the more interesting brick and shapes.

View attachment 518783
Edmonton Public School board building, when colour wasn't a swear word.

View attachment 518780

View attachment 518782

View attachment 518783
Haha!!! Is that YYC capture supposed to be a joke?! Imagine the suckers living on TOP of a fire station?! I nearly fell off my chair laughing....good luck to them!

Last edited:
Arson?

I can't help but feel like something fishy is going on here.

How does the office portion just randomly burst into flames in the middle of the night?
Vagrants do hang around that area

I don't know who the owner is, but I suspect there are insurance claims and tax write-offs involved.
You know, the usual things when a historical building is hit by arson.

Edmonton Public School board building, when colour wasn't a swear word.
Yes, go big. What I dislike is when people try to add these little accent colours, as if it must be done in very small doses and then they mix in several different colours that don't all match and are oddly placed in random spots.

A neat page on the district energy plans.

A neat page on the district energy plans.
Interesting stuff! I wonder how close this is to the eventual reality of the sewer heat exchange as that has been put until closer to 2030 now I believe. Not sure how people will feel about that odour smoke stack...

Design Work was ongoing as of last Aug so we could be close. I can't remember when they said they were going to tender.

Back