Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

^ Thanks for sharing this @thommyjo, what a great concept and team putting it all together.

I wish Blatchford would have put much more emphasis on car-free living by "building in" as much of the retail/commercial offerings as possible from the get-go, and somehow less emphasis on the Geothermal requirements. And the CoE's decision to sell plots to developers and build high-end single-family homes in isolation from every other component of what a healthy community is, seems to have been stifling.
So a grocery/retail podium or strip mall with 2 or 3 floors of apartments on top. That has got to happen soon in conjunction with the LRT opening, or the snail-like pace of development here will prevail.

Even though Blatchford is not 100% carless (not saying it should be) it's still light years ahead of all our SUV/car-loving neighbourhoods we build.
Phoenix and Edmonton share the title of Sprawl capital of NA, or close to it. So I'd really like to see some more similarities develop to the Culdesac project posted above. And get going with things now already, put the people who can make things happen in the driver's seat.
What's the outcome so far with the NetZero development requirement at Blatchford? Hopefully, it will make sense when development happens.
The LRT opening soon will be huge, just need more residents in a walkable community.

This was a good storey on Culdesac

^ Thanks for sharing this @thommyjo, what a great concept and team putting it all together.

I wish Blatchford would have put much more emphasis on car-free living by "building in" as much of the retail/commercial offerings as possible from the get-go, and somehow less emphasis on the Geothermal requirements. And the CoE's decision to sell plots to developers and build high-end single-family homes in isolation from every other component of what a healthy community is, seems to have been stifling.
So a grocery/retail podium or strip mall with 2 or 3 floors of apartments on top. That has got to happen soon in conjunction with the LRT opening, or the snail-like pace of development here will prevail.

Even though Blatchford is not 100% carless (not saying it should be) it's still light years ahead of all our SUV/car-loving neighbourhoods we build.
Phoenix and Edmonton share the title of Sprawl capital of NA, or close to it. So I'd really like to see some more similarities develop to the Culdesac project posted above. And get going with things now already, put the people who can make things happen in the driver's seat.
What's the outcome so far with the NetZero development requirement at Blatchford? Hopefully, it will make sense when development happens.
The LRT opening soon will be huge, just need more residents in a walkable community.

This was a good storey on Culdesac
Yeah, in some ways I wonder what’s more “green”…. 20k people in new suburbs or 20k in blatchford living a more dense and car free life? Maybe some of the green parts of blatchford are backfiring if they lead to thousands of less residents and thousands more in outer suburbs?

Taken July 1, 2023
20230701_111614.jpg
Lookin west,. First units being built on the east side of the control tower.

Google earth recently updated with new imagery for Blatchford. Depending on how many secondary suites end up being rented out/used I would estimate there are approximately 105-120 units u/c or completed.
1689016429569.png

Comparing this to a neighbourhood around 124 st. we can start to see how the townhouse form impacts land use and density. I've estimated a block that is approximately 120 units, and you can start to see how it compares. It seems to be just a bit less than twice as dense as a typical SF neighbourhood with modest infill and some townhouse developments. The neighbourhood will have to really get started on some of the multifamily developments before it has a density significantly different than the rest of Edmonton, but its a start.
1689016799707.png

Last edited:
Google earth recently updated with new imagery for Blatchford. Depending on how many secondary suites end up being rented out/used I would estimate there are approximately 105-120 units.
View attachment 491270

Comparing this to a neighbourhood around 124 st. we can start to see how the townhouse form impacts land use and density. I've estimated a block that is approximately 120 units, and you can start to see how it compares. It seems to be just a bit less than twice as dense as a typical SF neighbourhood with modest infill and some townhouse developments. The neighbourhood will have to really get started on some of the multifamily developments before it has a density significantly different than the rest of Edmonton, but its a start.
View attachment 491273
When does NE traffic circle start to develop? I feel like that’ll be key to it starting to feel more filled out than basically a single street. Is the city still selling new parcels? Or what’s the “pinch point” right now? Land sales? Home sales? Building? Land prep? Utilities/infrastructure?

When does NE traffic circle start to develop? I feel like that’ll be key to it starting to feel more filled out than basically a single street. Is the city still selling new parcels? Or what’s the “pinch point” right now? Land sales? Home sales? Building? Land prep? Utilities/infrastructure?
Here's a couple bits of intel:

First, according to the City project map, "Blatchford East Stage 5 and Blatchford West Stage 5 servicing is underway. Stage 6 planning is also ongoing. Builder construction of the townhomes, both fee simple and multi-family parcels, continues to progress."

Second, their new website has a map of the neighbourhood which tells you if a plot is claimed by a builder, when you hover your mouse over it

Third, regarding multi-family buildings, the project map also has a page for "Blatchford District Energy System - Energy Transfer Stations", which has a completion date of December 2024 and the following info:

"Description:
This new Capital Profile is needed to manage the design and construction costs of the Energy Transfer Stations of apartment buildings in the Blatchford development which are connected to the District Energy Sharing System operated by the Blatchford Renewable Energy Utility.Energy Transfer Stations within apartment buildings will distribute the energy from the District Energy Sharing System into the building units.The Utility will design and install the Energy Transfer Stations and will own, operate and maintain them. The operating and business model for the new Blatchford Renewable Energy Utility envisions the builder reimbursing the full costs for the Energy Transfer Stations to the Utility

Latest Update:
Working with the builders to finalize design details, ETS configurations and Condo DESS design guide."

Google earth recently updated with new imagery for Blatchford. Depending on how many secondary suites end up being rented out/used I would estimate there are approximately 105-120 units u/c or completed.
My quick count is 133 units in that photo, plus there are at least 6 more u/c that have started just since this photograph. Add to that basement suites which are a lot harder to tell exist just walking around the neighbourhood and I would guess the number is over 150 units at this point

My quick count is 133 units in that photo, plus there are at least 6 more u/c that have started just since this photograph. Add to that basement suites which are a lot harder to tell exist just walking around the neighbourhood and I would guess the number is over 150 units at this point
There are also some low rise apartments that will break ground within the next 6 months or so too, around 80 units there.

you could also add basement suites and lane housing to each of the single family lots if you want to compare potential densities over time between the two forms…

View attachment 491270

View attachment 491273
From building permit data, there are 171 units built or under construction in Blatchford.
1689055585214.png

I wish some of the higher density (missing middle) could have been built first in conjunction with the LRT rather than just the townhomes that aren't as close to the stations - and then build out from there.

Maybe that's not as feasible to do overall. That land wasn't prepped or put up for sale though - i wonder which phase of construction that is supposed to be.

Screenshot_20230711-093209_Samsung Internet.jpg

I wonder if the plan for blatchord is mostly ownership, or if more of the higher density options will be rental, which seems to be a more favorable option for people.

Back