Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Biked through today. Lots of good progress vs the Fall. I think next Spring it’ll start to feel like a real community. Still just a few strips of townhomes.

Love all the garage suites. Lots of homes look to be just a few months from occupancy, so residents should double shortly.

I think 2-3 larger projects with some retail will be key for blatchford to start to feel like the community it was pitched as. It still feels so isolated from everything else though, kingsway & all the industrial just feel like walls. I wonder if 1 or 2 stronger “through” connections would help it feel like less of an island?

View attachment 465823View attachment 465824View attachment 465825View attachment 465826View attachment 465827View attachment 465828View attachment 465829View attachment 465830View attachment 465831View attachment 465832View attachment 465833View attachment 465834View attachment 465835View attachment 465836View attachment 465837
There are supposed to be some active transport pathways with the airport road reconstruction. Did you notice anything?

There are supposed to be some active transport pathways with the airport road reconstruction. Did you notice anything?
Yeah, they were working on that section. Still a pretty big mess, so it wasn’t clear. Looks like an asphalt MUP by the townhomes that might become a concrete SUP as it turns the corner towards kingsway?

Nothing of quality in terms of separated bike paths or something with real comfort/safety/signals from what I can tell. Just the bare minimum extra wide sidewalk likely 🙃

I know blatchford has been photographed Plenty lately… but here’s a few more. Did some mild trespassing (not actually…just the parkade).

E2303F46-C95D-42B3-84AD-D31F7A07A84C.jpeg
E41957CF-5F93-4859-91C4-F0BF03BD649D.jpeg
D8DCD07C-07B8-4904-8124-3CE3753AF8A0.jpeg

look at the new model of two wheel truck in the lower left. Never seen that before lol.
CA4FF2FA-EAF4-4B45-A898-E0CE02C48FB3.jpeg
second blatchford LRT station
9581D7DB-BD56-4BA6-B1A6-11743FD4D80A.jpeg
EC55229F-B982-410E-8AC2-95482C255EBD.jpeg

Wouldn't say these are the most aesthetically pleasing homes in Blatchford.

"Landmark’s Altitude and Skyline townhome models range from 1,532 and 1,556 square feet, respectively, with 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. Their net-zero townhomes feature high energy standards at competitive prices and are perfectly suited for the Blatchford community."

Screenshot_20230420-183145_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wouldn't say these are the most aesthetically pleasing homes in Blatchford.

"Landmark’s Altitude and Skyline townhome models range from 1,532 and 1,556 square feet, respectively, with 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. Their net-zero townhomes feature high energy standards at competitive prices and are perfectly suited for the Blatchford community."

View attachment 470869
Definitely not that good looking. And not very big. My apartment Downtown has basically the same square footage (only about 80 sq. ft. smaller) for a 2 bed/2bath.

Definitely not that good looking. And not very big. My apartment Downtown has basically the same square footage (only about 80 sq. ft. smaller) for a 2 bed/2bath.
Looks aside, I think some homes in this size are key in a development like Blatchford. They'll be more affordable, and more palatable to single or DINK folks. The community will be well served to have a multitude of sizes, qualities and pricing available.

I believe part of the disservice (to the pubic and potential residents) being referred to is being behind schedule, the slow pace, very little housing actually built yet and higher prices.

I think the city's land development is or can be profitable if it is a straight forward project. However, this one and the Northlands one are bigger undertakings involving significant costs and more complexity. I am not sure the city has the expertise to deal with this, or if it does, to properly utilize this expertise.

I would hope these projects are profitable, but given the risks and other factors, it is less certain in this case.

Looks aside, I think some homes in this size are key in a development like Blatchford. They'll be more affordable, and more palatable to single or DINK folks. The community will be well served to have a multitude of sizes, qualities and pricing available.
Yeah, I’m interested to see the prices. If these are 380-480k, that’d be sweet for diversifying the affordability.

Back