Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

168259214_3775562609192578_5061234889880986658_n.jpg

Sooo…

"We're not abandoning the Blatchford vision — we're just readjusting some of the medium-term things by keeping our eyes and our goals on the long-term vision of the land…"

Isn’t that the same as buying an electric car and having a diesel one delivered instead and the dealer saying “but I plan to replace it with an electric one in 2030”?

I also find it interesting that the electricity to be derived from wastewater will end up subsidizing Blatchford’s electrical consumption and not the ratepayers being billed for that water. Isn’t that effectively another ongoing subsidy from taxpayers resident elsewhere?

Sooo…

"We're not abandoning the Blatchford vision — we're just readjusting some of the medium-term things by keeping our eyes and our goals on the long-term vision of the land…"

Isn’t that the same as buying an electric car and having a diesel one delivered instead and the dealer saying “but I plan to replace it with an electric one in 2030”?

I also find it interesting that the electricity to be derived from wastewater will end up subsidizing Blatchford’s electrical consumption and not the ratepayers being billed for that water. Isn’t that effectively another ongoing subsidy from taxpayers resident elsewhere?

Wastewater is to recover heat for district heating system, alleviating some elec need for heat pumps in that system. It doesn't generate elec directly.

All households should be able to recover both heat from wastewater and the water itself (e.g. shower water to flush toilets?), but it hasn't been economic to do that except at scale, like in the Blatchford example.

Wastewater is to recover heat for district heating system, alleviating some elec need for heat pumps in that system. It doesn't generate elec directly.

All households should be able to recover both heat from wastewater and the water itself (e.g. shower water to flush toilets?), but it hasn't been economic to do that except at scale, like in the Blatchford example.
the initial phases at blatchford are still being shown as a "closed loop" system relying on geothermal exchanges below the storm water pond for heating and cooling. the wastewater heat recovery isn't shown as coming onstream until much later in the project and was presumably designed to increase capacity once the storm water pond serving the first phases was at capacity and which would have allowed for the initial phase not to have to be oversized. it would appear that supplemental capacity is required now, not in the future, and that it will be provided by natural gas on an "interim basis" which would indicate to this layperson that the initial system doesn't have the capacity it was intended to deliver.

furthermore, whether it's achieving electricity savings or recovering heat, my point was that the water and its latent heat are paid for by epcor customers and/or the city of edmonton (as epcor's only shareholder) but those benefits don't accrue to those customers or to the city if they're being given away to a separate independent utility unless there is a mechanism i am unaware of for epcor to be paid for that heat recovery in addition to which that recovery is lost to epcor in terms of future recovery systems servicing downtown or the north edge or nait etc.

1668723822508.png
1668723914706.png
1668723932576.png
1668723968318.png

Last edited:
There seems to finally be some momentum for this project and a few hints on social (esp. Linkedin) on some significant multi-family projects coming in 23/24.

Any word on NAIT expansion plans or the Hanger?
Any links?

Hangar ownership has been diluted and rearranged -- our group is out. NAIT expansion will be done building by building as funding allows.

Back