News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

Love this.
---

@timquerengesser
Do people brag about never going downtown in Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa? Honest question.
i can’t speak for ottawa but it’s not an uncommon sentiment to encounter in either greater vancouver or greater toronto.

i think the difference is that edmonton’s downtown is so much smaller/less dense than vancouver and toronto that it doesn’t have enough critical mass by any measure you want to use to overcome that sentiment from becoming predominant. what would be an annoyance in those cities can be devastating here.

It just occurred to me how ill-advised the timing of the closure of this live music venue is.
The Juno Awards take place in downtown Edmonton next month.
Seems to be counter-productive, don't you think, hosting a national music awards event when there's a dearth of live music venues in Edmonton to choose from?

i can’t speak for ottawa but it’s not an uncommon sentiment to encounter in either greater vancouver or greater toronto.

i think the difference is that edmonton’s downtown is so much smaller/less dense than vancouver and toronto that it doesn’t have enough critical mass by any measure you want to use to overcome that sentiment from becoming predominant. what would be an annoyance in those cities can be devastating here.

Regarding the point on density and the size of Edmonton's downtown - can and should the city do significantly more right now to accelerate residential development? Getting more people downtown as soon as we can is a critical element to turning things around.
The 2022 initiative to freeze property values for 5 years (?) for residential projects starting construction was a success.
Should the city up the incentive even more in 2023 to keep the residential projects moving ahead?

There needs to be a collective push towards the goal of 20,000 people living in the Downtown proper, or about 6500 new residents.

Back in ~2007 the goal of 20(k) by 2020 started to gain some momentum, with a push in 2011-12, but then mostly fizzle.

If new residential towers are priced anything like the stantec/hotel towers, it's going to be a barren landscape for a long time.

Well it looks like most developments are being planned as rentals.
His assessment goes for rental prices as well. Up until about a year ago, Sky Residences prices were kinda of WAAAAAY above the curve for Edmonton and, despite all that they offer, still hardly worth it. They have since reduced the prices and it now makes more sense, considering the incentives (700 sqft 1bed+1bath with den for $1500, all utilities included is not bad at all).

Reference ID: Job No 463021250-002
Description: To Change the Use from General Retail Stores to Live Work Units and to Construct Exterior Alterations (New Doors)
Plan 1822417 Blk 7 Lot 40A
Applicant: B & A PLANNING GROUP
Create Date: 2/3/2023 9:02:13 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Class of Permit: Class B

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/lo...-estate-forum-optimistic-for-downtown-rebound

During the panel, Anderson said the market has been in a state where it takes two steps forward and one step back. But there are promising signs. He alluded to an upcoming announcement by a company that has chosen to relocate its head office to Edmonton and will occupy 42,000 square feet.
speculating - wonder if this is something in agri-food, machine learning or hydrogen related?

Back