News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

Only one announcing anything was Air Products announcing a new office here for 40 people. Don't see any other player opening a new office here.

Only one announcing anything was Air Products announcing a new office here for 40 people. Don't see any other player opening a new office here.

Yes and they said they would be locating it on or near the site of the hydrogen facility.
If it is hydrogen, hopefully it's another player.

^
^^
I thought Air Products As well when I first heard the comment but 42k square feet for 40 people doesn't add up. I' m hoping for another entity. Two announcements like this so close together would be unprecedented for this City.

From the article, the statement was "a company that has chosen to relocate their head office to Edmonton".
That is not what Air Products is doing so I'm going with another company.

Could be that European waste to energy company that is opening their North American head office here. But that's already been announced (although I don't believe office location announced).

Whatever it is, having a company relocate their HQ here and take up a big chunk of commercial real estate would be great. Hope an announcement is made soon.

I really wish the city would be more aggressive in attracting investment and businesses to set up shop in downtown. Calgary has been aggressive and their campaigning has been quite public. It's been one of my biggest talking points in getting downtown to actually turn around. Attracting businesses should be one of the top priorities of the city and it seems like it is just not a huge concern.

I really wish the city would be more aggressive in attracting investment and businesses to set up shop in downtown. Calgary has been aggressive and their campaigning has been quite public. It's been one of my biggest talking points in getting downtown to actually turn around. Attracting businesses should be one of the top priorities of the city and it seems like it is just not a huge concern.
Yes. I have said this a million times on this and other forums.

This is in my opinion the biggest leap of achievement the city could make in the sense that the city does very little to attract companies and if it put in the smallest bit of strategic effort it could actually achieve meaningful progress. The implications of this are a larger and broader than people realize in that more companies to Edmonton and downtown result in:
1. more partnerships with universities
2. more jobs for graduates and less bleed of talent to Calgary (this is actually a thing from the U of A)
3. and higher tax revenues from corporations and
3A. increased taxes from less vacant buildings.

I truly have no idea why the city does not recognize this as a big issue nor why the city has not assembled an active strategy to change this but it is a large concern and would benefit the city in a magnitude of ways.

Iveson recognized it, it's why he pushed regional cooperation and big reason why we have Edmonton Global which does exactly what you suggest in working to attract companies.

Iveson recognized it, it's why he pushed regional cooperation and big reason why we have Edmonton Global which does exactly what you suggest in working to attract companies.
Edmonton Global was established in 2017. Since 2017, the organization has been involved in the successful recruitment of 1 (one) firm to downtown. That firm totaled ~30 workers and occupied one suite in the AMII building.

That firm announced two weeks ago they are closing their downtown shop.

Downtown now has a total of 0 firms and 0 jobs that have been recruited by Edmonton Global.

Back