News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

It would be so nice if the pedway system stays open after 6 pm, same as before the pandemic hit. I'm guessing maybe some people will go to LUX or Chop during Downtown Dining Week but won't bother coming back because of the closed pedways. Hey, what if there was an NHL game or an arena concert?

Reference ID:Job No 428533666-002
Description:To add an Accessory Automotive and Minor Recreation Vehicle Sales and Rentals to a Hotel Use
Plan 1443EO Blk 4 Lots A,B,C,OT
Applicant:JAGGREWAL HOLDINGS LTD O/A COMFORT INN & SUITES
Create Date:4/1/2022 12:25:58 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN
Issue Date:4/5/2022 12:00:00 AM
Class of Permit:Class B

Select out, Suya Hause in. Nigerian shish kebab.

Reference ID:Job No 429080975-002
Description:To Change the Use from a Restaurant to a Bar & Neighborhood Pub (211m2 of Public Space)
Plan NB Blk 6 Lot 73
Applicant:SUYA HAUSE & LOUNGE
Create Date:4/5/2022 8:22:27 PM
Issue Date:4/7/2022 12:00:00 AM
Class of Permit:Class A

Reference ID:Job No 430015667-002
Description:To install (1) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (THE ILLUSION LOUNGE)
Plan 0722045 Blk 8 Lot 87A
Applicant:MEGA SIGNS INC.
Create Date:4/13/2022 4:05:42 PM

One Poke is closing for good (previously trying to sell).

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 8.39.38 AM.png

Not gonna lie…drove the DT 12 days ago and it seemed spotless….first time ever! The rest of the city was a disaster though…..garbage along the WM was the worst I’ve ever seen it. Anyone notice that homeless camp that’s brilliantly tucked into that “old advertising mound” EB just west of the Calgary Tr. overpass? Can see going east or west on the WM….only seen from the top of the overpass looking down

^ ^^

i have to agree with MacLac here... in my travels through downtown this year, i've noticed street sweeping and cleaning started much earlier than i can remember in previous years.

this work might not be part of the "scheduled deep cleaning" but the sweepers have been out on numerous occasions for at least 6-8 weeks already. while their focus might have been on the major routes and not the entire neighborhood, it seems to me much further ahead than this year.

while the general litter - particularly after it's been windy - is still an issue that is exacerbated by the loitering and the pickers and dumpster divers, that's a year round concern outside of street cleaning.

^^Initial street sweep was done just around the beginning of April/End of March (Complete sweep is being done now).. Also the parks have been swept. It makes a huge difference.

Downtown looks worst after a windy day, and feels worse when you're walking around seeing it all rather than driving by.

Downtown has its problem areas but Gateway Blvd was horrible tonight. I agree that other parts of the city look worse this year. I also noticed a few encampments along Gateway.

Again, I hear excuses versus action and real change in operations/planning and delivery.

Pre-sweeps shouldn't be celebrated in the core, but expected.

We have major conferences happening again, coming soon and a playoff run about to occur which will draw thousands here.

Entranceways to the city, major roadways such as the whitemud/yellowhead, bridges/decks into the Downtown, blvd medians (looking at you 109st south of Jasper) highly walkable or dense areas should absolutely have their 'complete sweep' done before any random neighbourhoods full stop.

I recognize that we are all taxpayers, but it's absurd that we don't have a full out effort on areas above that are seen by most, often lead to formation of opinions on our city at a time of the year where our city has a difficult time to look good to begin with and that water is used so people walking to Oilers games, hotels, Convention Centre, Citadel, Winspear etc. etc. aren't getting free exfoliation.

In past years our most walkable parts of the Downtown, 124st, Old Strathcona weren't done until mid-late May... after much of the city was already completed.

I should also note that on my last trip up there were those plastic green bike lane sticks and downed signage from winter on many blocks around the core what need a tidy and replacement.

I'm critical for a reason and that reason is that we have a long, hard winter that seems to take forever to clean up from and often makes walkable areas much less enjoyable for almost a month longer than needed in a city where we should be trying everything in our power to extend the enjoyment of our warmer months.

'Good enough, it's the most Edmonton thing you can do'

Back