7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Puneeta McBryan
(She/Her) • 1st
Executive Director at the Edmonton Downtown Business Association
3m

The results are in! Just in time for the Province's lifting of the mandatory work from home order.

We surveyed 611 Edmonton Downtown office workers, and here's what we found:

- 70% are either already in the office or will be back full or part-time

- Only 4% expect that their job will become 'fully remote'

- Of those who are sure they're coming back, 58% anticipate being back by July, 6% are already back, and 17% anticipate being back by December

- 60% of respondents say they're most looking forward to 'seeing/socializing/collaborating with co-workers'

- The Downtown features that workers say are are MOST important in their decision to come into the office are outdoor gathering spaces (63%), restaurant lunch specials (50%), and late afternoon or early evening social gatherings (43%)

- The workplace features/offerings that workers say would be most impactful in their decision to come into the office are availability of discounted parking (60%), improved air quality and circulation (56%), and proximity to parks & greenspace (50%)

7-11 at Jasper Ave/112 St is now closed and the signs taken down.
Still no movement from the neighboring Second Cup.

Just did my lunch walk through the core. Definitely busier. Didn't get into ECC food court but if Commerce place was any indication it was packed. the vendors seemed happier as well. Plus quite a few people walking through the malls and pedways today.

Breakfast-sandwich-2-2048x1452.jpg

Downtown workers would like cheaper parking, but consider the costs, says planner

March 3, 2022 · The Pulse
By Emily Rendell-Watson
Comments

A survey for the Edmonton Downtown Business Association found that 60% of workers view the availability of discounted parking as a factor that would increase the likelihood of them choosing to return to work downtown.

But while discounting parking or making it free may seem like an attractive solution to reinvigorate the heart of the city, it’s not that simple, explained urban planner Neal LaMontagne.

“There’s no such thing as free parking. To discount that parking, somebody is paying for it,” he said. If it’s not the city, distributing the cost through taxes, then it’s the building manager or developer, or the employer, a factor that would likely be considered in setting wages.

Discounted downtown parking, which is expensive to build and maintain, would also provide a “tremendous incentive” to choose driving over other modes of transportation. This is problematic because the core has limited capacity to take an influx of cars. There are also environmental concerns that go beyond having more cars on the roads if the demand for parking increases.

Downtown workers would like cheaper parking, but consider the costs, says planner

March 3, 2022 · The Pulse
By Emily Rendell-Watson
Comments

A survey for the Edmonton Downtown Business Association found that 60% of workers view the availability of discounted parking as a factor that would increase the likelihood of them choosing to return to work downtown.

But while discounting parking or making it free may seem like an attractive solution to reinvigorate the heart of the city, it’s not that simple, explained urban planner Neal LaMontagne.

“There’s no such thing as free parking. To discount that parking, somebody is paying for it,” he said. If it’s not the city, distributing the cost through taxes, then it’s the building manager or developer, or the employer, a factor that would likely be considered in setting wages.

Discounted downtown parking, which is expensive to build and maintain, would also provide a “tremendous incentive” to choose driving over other modes of transportation. This is problematic because the core has limited capacity to take an influx of cars. There are also environmental concerns that go beyond having more cars on the roads if the demand for parking increases.

Well said by the urban planner.

I would leave cheaper parking to the employers (e.g. paying for parking spaces) as an incentive to come downtown and work - at least more often.

I like the idea of cheaper parking in general, but it really depends on the parking areas and if you're going to do that, it should be a whole-of-community approach that enables cheaper parking on evenings and weekends too.

I think a better idea is offering incentives to 'get' downtown, including better fares for public transit and partnership with ride sharing and micro-transit companies to enable mobility and more pervasive use.

Just did my lunch walk through the core. Definitely busier. Didn't get into ECC food court but if Commerce place was any indication it was packed. the vendors seemed happier as well. Plus quite a few people walking through the malls and pedways today.

You know that downtown is back when there's a line-up at Chicken For Lunch!
I did my lunch walk through the core and I concur with @Airboy.

Back