News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

May be a dumb question, but will this building still house the Chvrch of John, Crash Lobby and the Arena Liquor store?

^Smoke BBQ is very good if you haven't tried it yet. Popular now before games. Church of John reopened a few weekends ago.

Boyle Street CS operates transitional housing in former Crash Hotel (Sandy's Place). It is a result of COVID and having less capacity elsewhere. There have been some major concerns in the area, but Boyle has been good to try to address them. Some of the disorder on the street also affects their clients. The folks housed here have been accepted into affordable housing and area waiting to be placed. They currently only have a 6 month lease and I agree it is not a good long term location in the middle of an entertainment/hospitality area.

More info here, including contact info for questions and concerns: https://homewardtrust.ca/bridge-housing/

I had no idea Smoke BBQ opened in the Crash/Grand Hotel. I've lost track of what's in that space, which has become a black hole of failed pubs.

It's temporary for up to 12 months, but also an ideal location really - close to transit, amenities, services, etc. Downtown also is lower than the 16% affordable housing threshold, so there's capacity for more AH in the neighbourhood.
Sad the crash hotel just hit bad luck with covid timing. It was a great effort. I think this is such a prominent location, it needs to become “part” of the ice district. As a hotel, bar, etc. all for transitional housing, but we also have a huge amount of 3 story walkups all around the core or some rough hotels/motels in the core id rather see converted.

Back again this weekend and it was nice to see Downtown beginning to feel more normal again.

I know it is this time of the year playing a huge role (as is staffing), but we need folks doing some sweeping in front of their business as soon as we can to minimize dust, dirt and grime for those of us walking by or folks setting up patios as early as they can.

The City also needs to walk each block Downtown (and other areas such as Whyte) to take note of the things needing resetting (lights/electrical), replacing (signage knocked down over winter) and an absolute ton of those green plastic bike lane markers broken and sitting all over the place. It's incredible how shabby things look and seemingly few care.

Reference ID:Job No 426664854-002
Description:To construct exterior alterations to a Brewery (outdoor patio)
Plan NB1 Blk 4 Lots 149-152
Applicant:CAMPIO BREWING CO
Create Date:3/16/2022 11:08:31 AM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Avison Young's downtown vitality index is looking pretty good for Edmonton - we have the highest return to office percentage in their list of North American cities.
https://www.avisonyoung.com/return-to-office-vitality-index (the full interactive doesn't show up on mobile

1647818609854.png

Back