2.5K     0 

Downtown

Reference ID:Job No 423970870-002
Description:Alteration of (an) existing building(s), Change of Use
Plan 1762HW Blks C,D
Applicant:GATHER CO
Create Date:2/17/2022 2:52:27 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Lawson has the best commercials, Family Mart is prob top for food, but 711 is consistent for snacks, baking and most importantly Canadian Funds:)

Sohi motion passed to look at next 10 years of Downtown, The Quarters and Belvedere Community Revitalization Levy (CRL) to make amendments to the bylaw to allow for 'mixed building, affordable housing and public washrooms.' There was also an update on the health of each CRL if someone wants' the dig it up.

The concern with this amendment from some in the business community is that the intention of the CRLs was to leverage public investment into infrastructure to encourage private investment. Not sure if these additions do that or not, I guess devil is in the details.

Also, update on Transit Security today coming this week as well.

Transit security update could not happen faster. I do worry it won't be nearly enough--odds are it'll feature some expensive consultants saying a watered down version of what everyone has been screaming about RE transit (it's unsafe! dangerous! overall unpleasant even when not dangerous!), and then some half arsed proactive approaches to transit safety when we need real time reactive response NOW (and then proactive afterward).

I really, really do wish we could make all of City Council, top CoE Admin, and top EPS brass all take the LRT for a week. Things would change quick after that.

Chicken and the egg though... transit won't matter if people don't want to come Downtown due to disorder, safety and other issues.

Sohi motion passed to look at next 10 years of Downtown, The Quarters and Belvedere Community Revitalization Levy (CRL) to make amendments to the bylaw to allow for 'mixed building, affordable housing and public washrooms.' There was also an update on the health of each CRL if someone wants' the dig it up.

The concern with this amendment from some in the business community is that the intention of the CRLs was to leverage public investment into infrastructure to encourage private investment. Not sure if these additions do that or not, I guess devil is in the details.

I saw some of that - I thought it was a motion made by Coun. Stevenson - which would make sense since she was the one questioning the CRL funded underground pedway for stationlands.

Motion was opposed by Cartmell, Hamilton, Principe, Rice and Paquette.

Last edited:
^What I saw on screen was a motion from Sohi. It passed 8-5 anyhow.

Just trying to keep info accurate as we can.🙂

Screenshot_20220222-160024_YouTube.jpg

this wasn't Sohi this was Councillor Stevenson's motion

I agree CRL is not well-suited to affordable housing.

Affordable housing is a provincial gov't responsibility. Why would the City fritter away its precious and limited CRL money on housing? Bonkers. Sacrificing parks, streetscape, lighting, landscaping improvements to instead build a handful of halfway houses is nonsensical.

Back