News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

The concrete and stairs were falling apart for so long and a lot of the rebar was exposed. Just all the new concrete is a significant enhancement.

DeepMind is closing down its downtown Edmonton office

The crown jewel and what is the only tech firm that Global Edmonton has publicly been linked to recruiting to downtown Edmonton has closed. Not great.

The crown jewel and what is the only tech firm that Global Edmonton has publicly been linked to recruiting to downtown Edmonton has closed. Not great.
The victim of the ongoing cuts throughout the tech sector globally, unfortunately. Even Benevity in Calgary let go 14% of their workforce recently.

i'm not sure they are/were "the crown jewel" but attracting an office here was certainly a positive and losing them certainly a negative.

it would be really interesting to find out what efforts are/will be made towards conducting an in-depth "exit interview" starting with why they opened here in the first place, what they experienced while they were here (positive and negative) and why they're closing that includes those that worked here and those that made the decisions to open here and to close here.

i'm not sure they are/were "the crown jewel" but attracting an office here was certainly a positive and losing them certainly a negative.

it would be really interesting to find out what efforts are/will be made towards conducting an in-depth "exit interview" starting with why they opened here in the first place, what they experienced while they were here (positive and negative) and why they're closing that includes those that worked here and those that made the decisions to open here and to close here..
I say Crown Jewel because of how much they were marketed by Edmonton Global as a success, which it was no doubt. My point being is that since inception in 2017, I cannot think of very many companies that have been publicly linked to Edmonton Global that have been attracted to downtown, which to my knowledge is one of their key mandates. So to have one of the only few successes already close shop and very few wins outside of them that I am aware of isnt great.

I guess a silver lining to the tech office downsizing is that it was never a large portion of our Downtown office space, unlike in Vancouver, Toronto, San Fran, etc.
San Fran is approaching 40% office vacancy in their downtown. Things aren’t looking great for them.

Back