News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

1. During COVID the COE made Downtown parking free and it was a mess. Many folks abused this and parked cars in spots for days, if not weeks. I'd propose 1-2hrs free with 'proof of purchase' or something, but that can get complicated.

2. The way out of this is through amazing destination experiences such as ICE, Winspear, Citadel, RAM, AGA, dining, music, patios, places to explore and be seen.

3. I've always been a strong advocate for people to be tourists in their own city. The number of people I know who rarely go to Whyte or Downtown or 124st, but regularly tell me about their recent trip to Downtown Portland, Paris, NYC or Nashville where 'they stayed at a boutique hotel, went to this cute coffee shop, bought a book at a local and had cocktails out at this incredible joint' and yet rarely do that in their home city.

BUT, none of this works if it is in the state it currently is, PERIOD.

Last edited:
All cars get towed away at 3am at the owner's expense. Eventually everyone will get the memo and not leave their car there for days.

3am is also a great time to clean up downtown.

For what it's worth.

---
Global Energy Financing won't be opening an Edmonton office because of street dangers

Arthur C Green

For what it's worth @IanO - I'd say that story is worth crap and I question its validity and whether it should have even been posted.

Nice work from this reporter who has a 'story' like that on a hot topic issue and doesn't bother to contact anyone for a comment like the mayor or DBA or Edmonton Global or chamber. It's all from an email from that lawyer - and if you check out some of this source's Twitter posts I think that says it all.

Journalism at its finest.

For what it's worth @IanO - I'd say that story is worth crap and I question its validity and whether it should have even been posted.

Nice work from this reporter who has a 'story' like that on a hot topic issue and doesn't bother to contact anyone for a comment like the mayor or DBA or Edmonton Global or chamber. It's all from an email from that lawyer - and if you check out some of this source's Twitter posts I think that says it all.

Isn’t western standard like a right wing tabloid?

All cars get towed away at 3am at the owner's expense. Eventually everyone will get the memo and not leave their car there for days.

3am is also a great time to clean up downtown.
So how do you differentiate from those leaving their cars and those who are working late night shifts?

Hence the *for what it's worth.

That said, I've hear this same story from more than one group visiting Edmonton (usually from Toronto) who own significant assets and were appalled by what they came across and so much so it was making them (re)contemplate tens/hundreds of millions of dollars of projects. I won't say which, but I specially know of three significant Downtown assets who had decision-makers come into town and that was their takeaway.

The DRC work and provincial coalition cannot come soon enough.

Reactions: TAS
The DRC work and provincial coalition cannot come soon enough.

The fact that special interest groups and the province have had to step in to help assist/improve/control the downtown situation is brutally indicative of how incompetent this council is.

I have been critical of several past councils and their attention (or lack of) to downtown but this council is in a league of its own incompetence. They can't even prioritize the basics of cleanliness and basic maintenance. Hearing Sohi on Global news yesterday speaking about all him and council are doing for downtown meanwhile local business owners and groups are saying downtown is not a good place for them any longer screams how out of touch Sohi really is.

Coun. Stevenson put forward motion on Dec 16 for a Q1 report in 2023 about using CRL money for more residential building incentives for the downtown.

Screenshot_20221221-094920_YouTube.jpg

For those who may have forgotten, this was part of the original buffet of options for the CRL that did not get across the line... and at the time I believe they were looking at 10,000/door for the first 2000 doors.

What amazes me is that as much as things change, they remain the same ie. 90s 2500/door for Downtown.

For what it's worth.

---
Global Energy Financing won't be opening an Edmonton office because of street dangers

Arthur C Green

I have never heard of “Global Energy Financing”, nor can I find anything about them anywhere online aside from this article. Not even on that LinkedIn profile of the guy cited in the article, who apparently is a tax lawyer from St Albert. But they’re claiming to be looking to open an “Alberta branch” for their company with 80 employees?

This all sounds at best extremely exaggerated for the story and easy clicks.

Back