News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

How many of you feel this will be a good location for Mikado when they move in 2023?
Parking is an issue as they have many many regulars that have been going for years and parked beside the restaurant. At this 7-11 location few people would drive there and circle the block for parking or use a parkade. There are so many choices for places to eat now - I fear if they went here they would fail. Better location would be in Stantec - parking an issue but available and lots of business peops for lunch and possibly some after work crowd.

How many of you feel this will be a good location for Mikado when they move in 2023?

Would pair well with XO next door, but my buddy who's family is involved said that he does not believe that they are moving.

*he is not involved in the day to day

Parking is an issue as they have many many regulars that have been going for years and parked beside the restaurant. At this 7-11 location few people would drive there and circle the block for parking or use a parkade. There are so many choices for places to eat now - I fear if they went here they would fail. Better location would be in Stantec - parking an issue but available and lots of business peops for lunch and possibly some after work crowd.
In terms of Stantec business peeps going for lunch and after work, this location would only be across the street (2 minutes max) from their building, wouldn't it? Would that distance be a deterrent? If so, yikes!

Reactions: God
@kcantor do you think that bridge will have the same impact as a more complete bike network based on those three reasons I noted: reducing some car traffic, meeting city climate targets and increasing public health?
i have no quarrel with stating that a more complete bike network would contribute to those three things.

i am not prepared to accept that it would have “the most potential” in those three areas compared to all of the other things that would also contribute to those three things.

i also didn’t compare or propose the bridge as an alternative for the bike network’s contributions to those three things.

Last edited:
View attachment 445798
New bus depot - 10180 105 St.

Very nice to see, only thing that would have been a bit nicer is if only it was near Churchill square. But considering it's right across the street from a hotel makes it still a decent location.

Regarding parking, it's ok that they are trying to increase revenue, but on the flip side it is a bit annoying when I have to come work in the downtown area. And unfortunately because of the times that I work, taking transit is restrictive because of limited late night service. I'd prefer to bus it but the that means I go from a 15 drive home after work (late night) or potentially a 1 1/2 or more bus ride all the way home.

Not sure if this is a new rendering of what CWB Place (Jasper Ave) will look like after renovations?

1671503665191.png

(https://majorprojects.alberta.ca/details/Canadian-Western-Bank-Place-Renovations/10778)

Basil on 104s (old Free Press) is leaving us before it really joined.

I miss the Free Press and hope something can stick (maybe once Falcon is done).

Basil on 104s (old Free Press) is leaving us before it really joined.

I miss the Free Press and hope something can stick (maybe once Falcon is done).

I never tried Basil. When I've walked by a couple of times it was always dead, so I just kept on walking.

What exactly do people think is the solution to parking downtown?

For instance, in the comments to that Global story above some people complain that finding parking is an issue or that they have to pay $8 an hour to park.

Will free parking downtown make it easier to find parking or harder? And if it's free, how long should it be for?

The city only has so much on street parking dt versus the much higher volume of paid parking in the privately owned lots and parkades. If street parking is free, which is to bring more people downtown, won't that always fill up first leaving more people frustrated who come downtown for the free parking that there is not enough of it or having them continue to drive around block to block causing more congestion, noise and poor air quality as they look for the limited free spots?

There is only so much street parking, and if its free and if the idea is to bring more people downtown via cars with free parking, what happens when free parking fills up?

Parking should be free in downtown, just like it is in the suburbs. The cost is the time it takes to find a spot.

Get rid of all those companies like Impark that operate parking lots.

Parking rates are theoretically based on demand. Demand is less you'd think street parking would be less, not more but we'd have to see the stats of how often those stalls are utilized. The City is not necessarily using demand as a metric.

Private off-street parking is also market demand. If there's less demand rates should go down but often they do not. I've seen parking rates go down around the arena from when it first opened up for example.

I find it hilarious that suburban Edmontonians will constantly whine and complain about paid parking in downtown but seemingly never bat an eye when it comes to paid parking in other areas of the city such as Old Strathcona or the U of A or the Royal Alex. Besides, there are other options such as public transit, walking or biking. This city has quite a ways to go when it comes to releasing that car-centric grip.

Back