News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown

Sorry for the shadows- I was in a hurry. I can't believe this was uprooted when I walked by Saturday morning along Jasper and 112 st. But the city had it back up by the early afternoon.

20220319_085550.jpg

We hit Local up Saturday late morning for lunch and that stretch was a disaster. It appeared as though there were two folks sleeping on benches, left two sets of stuff, a bunch of late night food from drunks (likely) all over the front entrance of Local (no cleaned up by them!>?!?!?) and a smashed window that was taped up.

There are... and an interesting choice to only highlight those and not include the following:(

-Coles in ECC - not an indie, but kinda left out on its own
-Tix on the Square has a great collection of local books
-The RAM has a decent selection
-There was a Chinese bookstore in The Quarters as well

Crunch Fitness is closing their Jasper Ave location after tonight. Their WEM location is still open but I don't need the hassle of commuting to the west end 3 times a week.
I still don't think GoodLife Fitness at Commerce Place is opening at all.
I think I'll start going to the Don Wheaton YMCA unless some of you know of other options for downtown fitness centres, preferably in the pedway district.

Crunch Fitness is closing their Jasper Ave location after tonight. Their WEM location is still open but I don't need the hassle of commuting to the west end 3 times a week.
I still don't think GoodLife Fitness at Commerce Place is opening at all.
I think I'll start going to the Don Wheaton YMCA unless some of you know of other options for downtown fitness centres, preferably in the pedway district.

MacEwan Centre for Sport and Wellness on 108 st, 104 Ave has decent gym and pool + gymnasium, but may be further than you want to go.

And theres Archetype, in JW Marriott, but much higher price point than Crunch.

Last edited:
^^^It's a curated list, not supposed to have every shop that has a book listed.

^X-Therapy also closed a while ago. I hope folks continue to support the Y, it needs members.

Reading some of the comments about lack of green space, getting things fixed in condos, having a dog on the 16th floor confirm my wish that the city would just develop the Quarters like Blatchford in terms of a series of townhomes with a few buildings like the Mercury as well.

Townhowns with legal suites would be amazing - adding density but also some of the benefits of sfh - having your own front entrance from the street, a little patch of green space perhaps with some larger green space common areas. But not nearly as large of a footprint, more affordable, and still convenience of walkability and central living ... a la Montreal.

Spring is always a bad time for garbage but I was in McCauley along 96 street and 106a to 106 Avenue and it was an absolute disaster.

I called 311 to see if the Capital City Cleanup team can do a major sweep through the area ASAP.

As well, anyone else notice in Oliver and downtown the amount of dog poop around on the sidewalk or grass or snow? I have not seen it this bad before and I do a lot of walking. What's with some (too many) dog owners?

I heard more people got dogs during the pandemic so maybe that is it. Apparently in the 60s and 70s nobody picked up after their dogs - also a time before plastic bags. Are people just being environmental now or lazy/selfish/ignorant?

Last edited:
Hard to train people, especially businesses and property owners, to clean up 365 days a year. Also our city doesn't help with open garbage cans and unlocked bins that the wind can blow things out of or those on meth riffle through. I'm convinced most Edmontonians don't litter, it's a failure of some simple things like better garbage bins and such.

On a positive note, the City was out sweeping Jasper Avenue sidewalks with never seen before sweeper machines and some folks on leaf blowers, including Beaverhills House and Michael Phair Park. Small wins!

Back