News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Downtown

Yes its not the end of the world, just as having a mediocre downtown is not the end of the world either. I realize a lot of people here are content with the status quo and don't care about the impression we give to visitors, which is one reason why Edmonton has such a poor reputation elsewhere.

I have done the LRT/747 trip in rush hour with luggage, so it is possible but I would say it is for the brave and well prepared with not too much luggage.

A frequent bus to directly to the Churchill capital/metro/valley line interchange would be a great initiative to get started now with a emphasis on trying to get the train built asap. Even if bus service started now we would be looking at minimum 8-10 years at the earliest before a train takes it's place.

Yes, there is a stop gap of shuttle services for various hotels and expensive cabs (in part because the airport is quite a long trip from downtown), but not everyone traveling is on an unlimited expense account or wants to justify a big cab bill to their employers.

Edmonton is full of contradictions - too cheap to spend for a downtown bus, but hoping for some much more expensive HSR service that may not arrive when many of us are still alive. In any event at this point we are paralyzed by our inaction and have been for a long time. The city needs a kick in the pants to realize it is not aspiring to be Regina.
As someone that used the Montreal 747 bus this summer, I can attest that it needs to be the stop gap solution for us.

Signage, que lines, easy ticketing, higher frequency, staff directing people, buses that accommodates luggage.

But I will say, the bus was old and sort of gross. And montreals road are so bad, a bus only makes it worse. And it was 35 degrees with no AC.

I think something more like a charter with higher end finishes would be nice. Run it at 20 minute frequencies. Advertise the heck out of it. Treat it like BRT in signage and maps. Build a nice loading area for it.

Our airport is so far away that the cost of Ubers and taxis is so high. Charging $10-15 for a 1 way ticket seems competitive. Then a monthly pass option could be looked into as well for regular commuters/airport employees. (Maybe part of monthly fare cap?)

Last edited:
Any idea why Skyshuttle hasn't resumed service? My guess is that Skyshuttle found it hard to compete in the early days of Uber, when they undercut the market to drive out competition. And when COVID came around, the lack of demand was the final nail in the coffin. But Uber has been raising prices and is quite expensive now, and demand is probably back to pre-COVID, so it's certainly worth re-evaluating in the current landscape.

ETS could run a similar service (with similar fee structure to what Skyshuttle would charge). Or the money could go into kickstarting/subsidizing Skyshuttle if they are able to resume operations.

I want a transit bus service between downtown and the airport, preferably non-stop. More options are required because I'm not impressed by what's available now.

The last time I flew, I drove to the airport and used their self-parking service. I won't be using that again! I had a hard time using their automated machine to leave until an attendant had to help me.

Taxi service is about $70 one way, but I find them unreliable. I booked them online to pick me up at a specific time and date but didn't hear boo from them. By the time I did, I was already halfway to the airport.

Using the LRT should be fine but one has to wait ages for the 747 service. Plus what's this about having to pay an extra fare to use the 747? Can I use an Arc card for the 747?

An LRT extension to the airport likely won't happen in my lifetime.

The Sky Shuttle service was OK but it stopped at a couple of southside hotels and at the cargo area of the airport before it finally stopped at the terminal.

As someone that used the Montreal 747 bus this summer, I can attest that it needs to be the stop gap solution for us.

Signage, que lines, easy ticketing, higher frequency, staff directing people, buses that accommodates luggage.

But I will say, the bus was old and sort of gross. And montreals road are so bad, a bus only makes it worse. And it was 35 degrees with no AC.

I think something more like a charter with higher end finishes would be nice. Run it at 20 minute frequencies. Advertise the heck out of it. Treat it like BRT in signage and maps. Build a nice loading area for it.

Our airport is so far away that the cost of Ubers and taxis is so high. Charging $10-15 for a 1 way ticket seems competitive. Then a monthly pass option could be looked into as well for regular commuters/airport employees. (Maybe part of monthly fare cap?)
The one I used in Montreal seemed better, but it wasn't during the midst of the summer heat. In any event, I agree something nicer would probably be a good idea and $10 - $15 would be a good price.

The recently completed front area at the Convention Centre may work as a loading area, maybe with a couple of stops: one on Whyte Ave and one further south for people traveling from there, and I think we could have something fairly good until whenever we get HSR or LRT to the airport.

Back