News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown

I'm placing my bets on RBC closing their City Centre Mall location. Because City Centre Mall.
The mall one is very close to the former HSBC one, but I am wondering if they will keep the one in the Edmonton Tower which is less central.

Also the mall one does link very nicely into the pedway system, so may be more convenient for people from nearby office buildings especially when the weather is not great.

It essentially replaced/combined the two previous older branches (on Jasper Ave and in Manulife), so it is a good size.

Well @David A I'm thinking that the ECC location will close if they can reopen the access between ECC and the the former HSBC Place. It's been closed for 4 years because of COVID. I don't see any more excuses for the continued access closure.

Yes, it would make sense to reopen the access to the former HSBC Place. I don't recall if it closed due to construction there before COVID or after that. In any event it hasn't seemed to be a priority so far for anyone.

Well @David A I'm thinking that the ECC location will close if they can reopen the access between ECC and the the former HSBC Place. It's been closed for 4 years because of COVID. I don't see any more excuses for the continued access closure.

ECC is an excuse.

Yes, I think while diminishing some, there are probably still safety concerns/issues on the HSBC (now RBC) side. And with more people back working in the towers, the mall space will actually be more viable.

Prospects bright for Alberta office markets in wake of steady Q1

Alberta office saw resilient demand in the first quarter, led by Edmonton

Vacancies rose 10 basis points in Calgary to 28 per cent overall and 30.3 per cent downtown. Edmonton saw overall vacancies decline to 30 basis points (bps) to 21.1 per cent with downtown falling 60 bps to 22.3 per cent

and

Class A vacancies in both Edmonton and Calgary declined, with CBRE reporting a half-percentage point decrease in downtown Calgary to 24.5 per cent. Edmonton held the course at 20.9 per cent, just 10 bps below last quarter.

This reflected national trends.

Seems like we're in a slight positive trend of office space absorption lately. Here's hoping we reach 10-15% vacancy by the end of the year? (lol I know that's a long shot but let me dream)

I would say that anything lower than 18-20% would be success, but am less optimistic about anything more than that for a number of years.

Yes, I feel anything below 20% would be success at this point. However, it is good to see things recovering even if it is gradual.

However, I am more optimistic about in a year or two. Heck even Federal government employees are having to RTO.

New Korean restaurant opening in the former (La) Pampa space.

20240504_144025.jpg

20240504_144030.jpg

Now hiring!

20240505_140905.jpg

No sign of what's happening with the former 7-11 space

20240505_142409.jpg

Yes, still not much around for clothing and shoes, very little for furniture, appliances or hardware.

An area can't really be walkable if you have to drive to the edge of downtown or further to get so many things and until it is, it will not be that attractive to those who want to live in a walkable area.

Back