News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

That looks like a conceptual floor for their upcoming farmer's market in the old brick building on the SE corner of 104st/103ave as mentioned. It will be open this summer I believe and will operate until such a time that the tower is viable.

What are we talking about here? Westrich is planning on building a "Farmers Market" within their Newly proposed "Ice Tower #1? The tower you said that has a US client leasing ALL the available retail space?
Interim use -- looking at "temporary" occupancy -- my client is talking to several location possibilities -- all downtown -- we'll see what shakes out!

Administration recommends establishing a downtown entertainment district on Rice Howard Way this summer. This would allow patrons to purchase food and alcohol from the street’s restaurants and bring it into the street, which would be closed to vehicles. The program would run from June to August. The original plan was to close the street to vehicle access on Fridays and Saturdays. But after receiving public feedback, the city said the program would only run on Saturdays because stakeholders were concerned about noise, maintaining parking, and vehicle access. The street would be closed from 7am on Saturdays to 10am on Sundays. The bylaw to establish a downtown entertainment district is set to be reviewed by council’s community and public services committee on April 29. The committee could then recommend council votes on the bylaw at a future city council meeting.
-Taproot

Friday OEG said there was 22,000 fans in the 3 venues. For an away game!
Appears to be a lot of younger folk heading out to these outdoor venues...I wouldn't be caught dead at an outside venue but my kid and her group went. When dad asked, "Why are you going?" Her response was "it's gonna be fun, and I'm tired of Whyte Ave."

If that means downtown becomes more of an option earlier on for people then I'm all for it.

I know that when I was 13-17 I was never downtown, and I didn't make a habit of visiting it till I was a few years into my post-secondary degree. If that can be done earlier, then at least some of the stigma of the core can be shed earlier for people.

Not to mention that I simply do not see the need or ability to program that space on a regular basis, thereby necessitating closures versus expanded options.

I will say despite the wind and some of our city's finest best efforts, downtown has looked relatively clean as well since playoffs have started

Again IMO the best part of playoffs is getting people to DT who otherwise never come here, and especially out-of-towners or those from the metro area. Lotta guys I knew in the energy industry go to these games on corporate/client seats and they usually treat themselves to a good time

Back