News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Downtown

There is a very convenient bus (Red Arrow) from Downtown Edmonton to YYC, just sayin'.
Exactly. It also took our city decades of dithering to consolidate air service at YEG. So not much has changed, the people here who should lead and have vision are slow and dim.

No wonder other places take advantage and move ahead while we wonder why we get left behind.

Are we the only major city in Canada with such a terrible connection from downtown to the airport?

It has and I suspect will continue to hurt efforts to attract major events, but our civic government yet again seems immune to embarrassment and necessary action.
Yup good to see Edmonton's abysmal airport history will have another few pages added to it.

It has and I suspect will continue to hurt efforts to attract major events, but our civic government yet again seems immune to embarrassment and necessary action.
I'm sure if media asked Sohi about it he would simply just lay another in a long line of generic comments like "I will continue to support [insert initiative here]" and/or again just point the finger at other levels of government "we need other levels of government to step up on transit connection to the airport from downtown" while doing absolutely nothing to procure solutions or rally community.

Absolute flaccid group of civic leaders. No vision of city building whatsoever.

I'm sure if media asked Sohi about it he would simply just lay another in a long line of generic comments like "I will continue to support [insert initiative here]" and/or again just point the finger at other levels of government "we need other levels of government to step up on transit connection to the airport from downtown" while doing absolutely nothing to procure solutions or rally community.

Absolute flaccid group of civic leaders. No vision of city building whatsoever.
100%.

Frickin' take charge and make something happen instead of waiting and blaming others. Pathetic.

"The Edmonton Downtown Business Association Seeks Farmers’ Market Operator

February 14, 2024

Following the closure of the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market, the Edmonton Downtown Business Association announces plans for a new outdoor farmers’ market on 104 street. The new market will operate for up to 22 weeks from May to October 2024 on Saturdays and provides an opportunity for food growers, food producers, local makers, and other local vendors to sell their goods on the iconic 104 street promenade.

“We heard from many downtown community members, both residents and businesses, and from Edmontonians across the city after the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market closed its doors in January. The overwhelming sentiment was that the community wants to see a downtown farmers’ market restored on 104 street, and that the loss of the market from 104 street has been felt for years. We believe that a successful downtown farmers’ market is essential to the vibrancy and livability of the core, and so the EDBA board and team have made the decision to take on a lead convening and oversight role in establishing a 104-street market for the 2024 market season,” says Puneeta McBryan, CEO of Edmonton Downtown Business Association.

"This new market has the potential to re-establish 104 street as Edmonton’s most vibrant public space that offers something for everyone and is accessible to all. Historical experience tells us that the increased visitation to the area will greatly benefit nearby restaurants and other small businesses. We’ve already had an outpouring of support and offers of assistance from our members and from displaced vendors from the now closed EDFMA," adds McBryan.

The EDBA is working closely with the City of Edmonton, Downtown Edmonton Community League, former board members of the EDFMA, and other partners to ensure that a market is up and running, in some format, this summer. Financial support for the market will be provided by the Downtown Vibrancy Fund with the EDBA contributing additional funds.

"Downtown markets have been a popular destination for Edmontonians and tourists for more than a century, helping to build a sense of community and support local businesses," says Brett Latchford, Director of Strategy and Emerging Economy, City of Edmonton. “The City of Edmonton is proud to help continue this legacy of creating economic growth and vibrant downtown spaces.”

Companies interested in operating the market have until March 15, 2024, to complete an Expression of Interest submission online. The EDBA is also actively recruiting vendors interested in selling at the outdoor market. The deadline for vendors to complete the vendor form is March 15, 2024."

Last edited:
Honestly if they advertise hard enough, you'd probably get people taking the Valley Line to visit, especially if this does become a "pedestrian only" experience. Hopefully they do great! 2024 is probably going to be a growth year rather than a post-covid recovery year with events like these.

There's some media interviews today you'll see in local news. Puneeta was conservative and said street can accommodate 50-60 vendors. LRT construction is going to be a challenge to the layout but I'm hopeful there will be demand and we can figure things out.

Back