News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

I think any kind of success takes a vision and hard work. Whether it's a mega-mall like West Edmonton Mall, the growth of the Ice District, or the growth of many of Edmonton's summer specials, they started small. I think though, that a lot of ideas have a life cycle. We've seen the evolution of downtown through the decades and again, we're at a crossroads. We see the rise and fall of neighbourhoods. Strathcona was once a run-down neighbourhood, yet it improved with planning.

Last edited:
I think any kind of success takes a vision and hard work. Whether it's a mega-mall like West Edmonton Mall, the growth of the Ice District, or the growth of many of Edmonton's summer specials, they started small. I think though, that a lot of ideas have a life cycle. We've seen the evolution of downtown through the decades and again, we're at a crossroads. We see the rise and fall of neighbourhoods. Strathcona was once a run-down neighbourhood, yet it improved with planning.
I agree, it takes vision and hard work. However, when it comes to planning, I think all three of these were not really city initiatives, but unexpected private or community initiatives. So maybe it is more recognizing, getting out of the way and supporting the vision of hard work of others.

A few things I can share (perhaps I already did).

- Most of last two years have been dealing with 'triage' of Downtown issues including safety, lack of office workers. It's put everyone's business plans back to the drawing board. We're only now starting to emerge from this and start to see some directions and decisions being made.

- ICE District was a $2B investment and should be celebrated. I'm also hopeful the Valley Line LRT opens here shortly and is a positive addition.

- City Council investments in Downtown on catalyst projects named in the 2010 Capital City Downtown Plan are going to be complete in the next few years.

- The pandemic has changed the reality for Downtown and we need to go back to the drawing board and probably update some of our planning documents in the next few years.

- There's a lot of desire to see Downtown succeed, from administration, and from Downtown community. The silos that existed before are less relevant, everyone is trying to work together to make things happen.

- Junos are here this week, March 9-13 with lot of visitors and events happening. The City, EDBA and Explore Edmonton are doing a lot to make this a successful event. Cleanliness, safety, graffiti, etc are all being addressed. It won't be perfect but I'm very hopeful people will have a good experience overall. https://edmonton.junoawards.ca/event-schedule

A few things I can share (perhaps I already did).

- Most of last two years have been dealing with 'triage' of Downtown issues including safety, lack of office workers. It's put everyone's business plans back to the drawing board. We're only now starting to emerge from this and start to see some directions and decisions being made.

- ICE District was a $2B investment and should be celebrated. I'm also hopeful the Valley Line LRT opens here shortly and is a positive addition.

- City Council investments in Downtown on catalyst projects named in the 2010 Capital City Downtown Plan are going to be complete in the next few years.

- The pandemic has changed the reality for Downtown and we need to go back to the drawing board and probably update some of our planning documents in the next few years.

- There's a lot of desire to see Downtown succeed, from administration, and from Downtown community. The silos that existed before are less relevant, everyone is trying to work together to make things happen.

- Junos are here this week, March 9-13 with lot of visitors and events happening. The City, EDBA and Explore Edmonton are doing a lot to make this a successful event. Cleanliness, safety, graffiti, etc are all being addressed. It won't be perfect but I'm very hopeful people will have a good experience overall. https://edmonton.junoawards.ca/event-schedule

You've mentioned cleanliness and graffiti a few times leading up to the JUNOs. Is there a public document and/or plan explicitly laying this out? I am quite curious. Downtown could use a deliberate and more scrutinized cleaning plan.

They need to somehow get from reactive to proactive. The current activity around safety and cleaning up seems to be responding to concerns that have been around for a while and have become quite overwhelming.

One element still missing is how to support the remaining existing commercial/retail businesses and entice more into the area. Unfortunately, the hole has been dug pretty deep, so I don't think this will easily fix itself.

^
and proactive instead of reactive would mean that edmontonians who live here and are downtown - or could be - every day deserve the same courtesy and respect that we are apparently prepared to give to one-time visitors but not ourselves.
I agree with your sentiment, but I feel whatever is being done is not so much out of courtesy and respect for visitors, but because the national embarrassment expected if not done.

There is a plan coming on cleanliness that ties in specifically with recent funding. I haven't seen it yet but I'm told it's in the works.

In addition the City is dealing with an unprecedented amount of vandalism and graffiti on street infrastructure that they're addressing on almost a daily basis. Not just Downtown but other urban areas as well.

Mayfair North:

Reference ID:Job No 465679229-002
Description:To install (1) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (QUICK BOWL)
Plan 1222211 Blk 8 Lot 46A
Applicant:BURKE GROUP OF COMPANIES
Create Date:3/4/2023 2:12:15 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Former Latitude 53 Gallery space:

Reference ID:Job No 465295335-002
Description:To Change the Use from a Public Libraries and Cultural Exhibits Use to a Restaurant, Special Event and Market Use.
Plan B2 Blk 6 Lot 176
Applicant:LAST MODERN EVENT VENUE INC.
Create Date:2/28/2023 9:15:51 PM
Class of Permit:Class B

Former Latitude 53 Gallery space:

Reference ID:Job No 465295335-002
Description:To Change the Use from a Public Libraries and Cultural Exhibits Use to a Restaurant, Special Event and Market Use.
Plan B2 Blk 6 Lot 176
Applicant:LAST MODERN EVENT VENUE INC.
Create Date:2/28/2023 9:15:51 PM
Class of Permit:Class B
Where is Latitude 53 going?

Interesting report going to Executive Committee March 22 outlining uses for the downtown CRL and future opportunities.

The CRL has funded projects including Rogers Place and associated infrastructure, Alex Decoteau Park, a major stormwater trunk, Jasper Avenue New Vision (97-100 Street), land for Warehouse Park, and several smaller Green and Walkable streetscaping projects. This spurred more than $4.5 billion in new development that is complete or under construction, including more than 3,800 new residential units and nearly 2 million square feet of office space. Since the CRL was implemented, downtown residential units increased by 41 per cent.
The City is investing in CRL-funded transformative projects. Developers have made investment decisions based on these projects proceeding as planned. The 2023-2026 Capital Budget includes the following projects:
  • Warehouse Park
  • Station Lands Projects
    • 103A Avenue Pedway
    • Station Lands Private Amenity Spaces
    • 105 Avenue Green and Walkable Improvements
  • Green and Walkable Downtown
    • 99 Street (Jasper - 102 Avenue)
    • 103A Avenue (97 Street-101 Street) and 99 Street (102A Avenue-103A Avenue)
    • 107 Street (100 Avenue - Jasper Avenue)
    • Emerging Opportunities
  • Beaver Hills House Park and Michael Phair Park Upgrades
  • Harbin Gate
  • Downtown Stormwater Drainage Servicing
  • Centennial Plaza Renewal
  • Jasper Avenue New Vision (102 Street-109 Street) - design only
Once these projects are completed, the remaining projects listed within the CRL Plan are:
  • Jasper Avenue New Vision (102 Street-109 Street) - delivery
  • 100 Street Pedestrian Bridge (River Valley Promenades)

Back