News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

Yeah it seems to be a thing these days. Its not a bad idea conceptually, but I don't think they get that much use. In 10 or 20 years, there will be a lot of reno work taking that all out.

Did some quick math and Downtown Calgary is going to grow by ~1300 units or about 1700 people which is not insignificant.

Here's hoping we see a few more in YEGDT.
You know how the so called "national" media is, if it doesn't happen in Calgary it doesn't get attention. We have been doing conversions here for decades probably more so than in Calgary until recently.

I think many of the best ones here have already been done, but there are probably a few more still. Hopefully they will happen.

Yeah it seems to be a thing these days. Its not a bad idea conceptually, but I don't think they get that much use. In 10 or 20 years, there will be a lot of reno work taking that all out.
The one in CAB always got a lot of use during my undergrad.

The one in CAB always got a lot of use during my undergrad.
Where was that in CAB? I know SUB had them post-reno, albeit not sure what CAB has looked like post-reno from recent

^ A lousy angle but here is a shot from early this year.
20230103_123825.jpg

Wow! Big change from the CAB I remember. Looks phenomenal.

Doesn't look so well utilized in the picture, must have been a slow day, but I don't mind the campus approach on ... well a campus.

I suspect it probably does work here. However, I think it might be over done in places not as suitable.

Doesn't look so well utilized in the picture, must have been a slow day, but I don't mind the campus approach on ... well a campus.

I suspect it probably does work here. However, I think it might be over done in places not as suitable.
CAB is usually extremely busy. Amazing what they've done, looks nothing like I remember it looking.

It doesn't appear to specify a particular level of LEED certification, so not that hard to achieve.
Wouldn't any LEED or Energuide certification be quite easy to achieve now with the more stringent building code requirements under the National Building Code - Alberta Edition 2019? I feel being LEED-certified back in, say, 2010, was a big achievement but nowadays with more strict energy efficiency requirements, it isn't as hard to do.

Significant paperwork and time. I'm not opposed to LEED, but why encumber a site with that and 'must start within a year', instead of providing a buffet of options with a portion being required.

Back