News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

Friend of mine that's just been hired to work as an office administrator for the Apple office in Camrose said that they asked him if he was willing to relocate to Edmonton once the pandemic is over.
My bet it that they're going to take advantage of the high vacancy level (around 20%) and dropping prices to move their operation here, and it's not hard to guess why. I know for a fact that a lot of their employees in California resist a lot to move to Camrose, and Edmonton, being a larger city and more connected, in terms of transportation options, is a lot more appealing to people.

There is an Apple Inc. office in Camrose?!

There is an Apple Inc. office in Camrose?!
I was shocked to learn of that, as well! It's not something you'd expect, with Calgary and Edmonton around!
Apparently, it's mostly software engineering focused, I've got another acquaintance that works there, but we're not close enough for me to ask for info on the moving, saddly.

Mixed feelings about this -- I like Edmonton's smaller cities and towns to remain viable so the loss for Camrose is a gut-punch for that City. I imagine it was originally picked because of the U of A presence there. At least it is not leaving the province. I would like to think that the Edmonton move has something to do with our upcoming presence there and synergies between the two companies (but that would be a tad egotistical on my part).

did anyone else read some of the comments' feedback from that article? Pretty hilariously with the notion regarding the former downtown airport.

I can't believe how twisted that reality is. The airport closing is, if you trace it back, what arguably saved our downtown core and kickstarted the spike of infill development in the city as a whole.

Not only that, one responder stated about "right now" quiet engines when it was not even available back then; as well, someone mentioned about runway extensions...which would have to be realigned or at exorbitantly highly in costs to extend the formerly existed runways...you would literally have to rebuilt that airport over again which would have been very costly not only from a standard airport, but, in this case, it would have required additional land and possibly hefty engineering...due to built up estabishments already in existence.

On any news article that even has just a hint of civic, provincial, or federal politics sprinkled in, people's facebook-radicallized dads and wine aunts always flood the comments. Always.

did anyone else read some of the comments' feedback from that article? Pretty hilariously with the notion regarding the former downtown airport.
they are good for a laugh... “just extend the runways??? on one side it would only mean relocating a major highway and a major railroad line. on the other side we would only need to relocate three hospitals...

Back