News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

Really curious to see what they do with the atrium/gardens. I know that the previous ExecDir wanted to consider their removal due to O&M and diverting funds away from their core mission, but with the City now in charge hopefully that changes and a renewal is done. It's one of the THE best spaces in the Downtown to enjoy any time of the year, but especially in the winter and that upper area is a bit of an underused gem.

No idea what is all required but it would be nice if the exterior got a bit of a refresh. The red is a nice unique colour but looks a little worn. Wonder if some aspects of the theatre will change now that the City will own it. More potential for multiuse spaces? Programming opportunities with the library?

Gotta keep the iconic/distinctive colour.

I wonder if they would look at creating a trust by permitting a partnership and getting the 'cloud' across the finish line?
19471-65697.jpeg

Really curious to see what they do with the atrium/gardens. I know that the previous ExecDir wanted to consider their removal due to O&M and diverting funds away from their core mission, but with the City now in charge hopefully that changes and a renewal is done. It's one of the THE best spaces in the Downtown to enjoy any time of the year, but especially in the winter and that upper area is a bit of an underused gem.
I would love to se the Muttart Staff take over the garden space and treat is as an extension and of the exhibit space. Treat it as a living promotion.

Yes, but that building is not going through the roof of another building and is not confined by going through the floor of that same building for what would have to be a very deep foundation... and I didn't say impossible; I did say next-to-impossible -- the cost would be prohibitive and would have to be justified in a world other than "economic". Gene Dub designed it in response to a call for proposals for the landscaped area of the Citadel to develop extra use -- it has never been engineered.

Last edited:
I would love to se the Muttart Staff take over the garden space and treat is as an extension and of the exhibit space. Treat it as a living promotion.

I think that's an excellent idea. (I often think the same way about the Princess Theatre as a potential site for Fort Edmonton having programming on Whyte)

CRL monies can now be used for privately built affordable housing.

'The Community Revitalization Levy (CRL) program is already being used by communities to help neighbourhoods reach their development potential. Expanding the criteria for the CRL Program will help to spur additional housing development. If the legislation passes, municipalities will be able to support the capital costs of privately-owned affordable or attainable housing, such as office-to-residential conversions, as long as the development is appropriate for the area and will lead to more homes.'

Back