News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Farmers Market

Anecdotally, it feels like the move away from 104th St caused the market to fall off in popularity. People may still go to the Downtown Farmers Market, but it feels like less than before and it's never really spoken of as highly as when it was outside on 104th. To be even more cryptic, I think there was a magic to being on 104th that made the market feel special and unique and worth checking out, which made it more desirable, which meant it didn't have a lack of tenants because it was busy.

I'm not sure what about 97th is so bad. Maybe it's just that it doesn't feel all that special, because if you want an indoor year-round market, Old Strathcona is busier, better situated, and more entrenched to fill that gap. It's not big like the St Albert one nor is it small and neighbourhood-focused like the 124 Grand Market. But when it was outside, on 104th, it was in the middle of a very walkable street with historic warehouses all around you and cute cafes and restaurants. It was also closer, both physically and psychologically, to where people with farmers market money are. Mind you, this never stopped Moth Cafe in the Quarters. In reality, it's probably a multitude of factors, and honestly covid is probably one of the biggest.

^I could go into much detail about this but I just wanted to add that since Bountiful opened, both Downtown and Old Strathcona have lost customers. Also since the market was on 104 Street dozens of new pop-up and seasonal markets have opened.

I haven't been to the market once since it moved to 97 street, mainly because of the area, but also because of what @dunno mentioned about it losing its magic. I'm also not convinced it was necessary to move it to begin with. I think the market could've been shifted a block or 2 north or south along 104 street if they wanted to avoid LRT construction for example.

^I could go into much detail about this but I just wanted to add that since Bountiful opened, both Downtown and Old Strathcona have lost customers. Also since the market was on 104 Street dozens of new pop-up and seasonal markets have opened.
I actually don't know much about Bountiful other than it exists, so I wasn't even thinking of it, thanks for bringing that up. It looks fairly big in the photos but that makes me wonder what allowed them to succeed and steal customers from other markets when the Downtown one also has ample space. Cost? I think it just feels so off the radar for me because it reminds me of the farmers markets in Calgary, off in some industrial area in the suburbs and very difficult to get to without a car.

^A large percentage of Downtown Market's customers in summer on 104 Street came from the southside using the LRT. When the market left 104 St and Bountiful opened, it hurt both Old Strathcona and Downtown. If 80% of Edmontonians drive and if Bountiful is closer and has all the vendors that's probably where you're going to go regardless of atmosphere.

What Downtown Market on 104 Street excelled at was the summer experience. People when to buy things but also to meet friends, hang out on a patio, get a coffee, enjoy summer Downtown with the historic buildings and overall urban atmosphere. That 'magic' and experience can't easily be transported somewhere else. People were there for more than just fruits and vegetable buying. Many of my friends that aren't regular market people have not been back to Downtown Market since they moved for all these reasons.

What are some good alternate locations for the downtown farmer's market during the summer?
LRT construction may impact 104 St.
Churchill Square will have events such as Taste of Edmonton, Cariwest, etc so a farmer's market may not be workable.
Revillon building?
ECC?
Centennial Plaza behind the Milner library?
ICE District?

What are some good alternate locations for the downtown farmer's market during the summer?
LRT construction may impact 104 St.
Churchill Square will have events such as Taste of Edmonton, Cariwest, etc so a farmer's market may not be workable.
Revillon building?
ECC?
Centennial Plaza behind the Milner library?
ICE District?

When you say ECC, do you mean along 102 Ave west of 100 street?

Rice Howard Way?

I wonder if 103 Ave could be activated for a couple of blocks between 103 to 104 streets and then north of 103 Ave on 104 st as needed.

Or the new civic precinct? - this may not be big enough.

Last edited:
Rice Howard Way would be a good 104th alternative that has strong potential for a similar "magic" if the LRT construction is a concern. But honestly, they could work around construction probably. In the past, they closed down parts of Jasper Ave, such as during the Pride Parade, to keep the market going on. They could also just do 102-104 Ave instead of Jasper-103. The Revillion Building would make a good permanent base, too. A couple of years out, but the Warehouse Campus park would also potentially be a good site. Maybe in West Oliver around Paul Kane/the Oliver Exchange?

There are farmer's markets along 124st... keep it east of 109st west of 97st north of 99ave and south of 104ave.

Back